Thursday, 2 February 2012

Three Lovely Things!

Hello & welcome to my new followers - I do appreciate you dropping by!
Today got off to a good start with my long-awaited yarn arriving - YAY! The colors were as lovely as I had been hoping from the website pictures, I had been a bit apprehensive about that one as on every webpage they seemed to look different despite having the same color code numbers. Now I know there is a technical reason for that to do with monitors etc., but it doesn't really help when you are trying to match colors! So here is what I've been waiting for:
Now how lovely are these? It's a chunky 100% acrylic yarn & feels so soft & cuddly too!
Seeing them all piled up on the couch like this put a big smile on my face :-)
Now you will have to wait a few days before I let you see what I am using them for...
On to the second lovely thing of today!
Recently I visited the main library in Inverness to see what selection of crochet books they carried. It had been quite a few years since I had last popped in, & while a lot of things appear to have remained the same, there have been some very welcome changes! In the category of "remaining the same" they had just one book on crochet - the catchily titled "Crochet for bears to wear" by Amy O'Neill Houck. I took it out of course, & the lady at the desk told me you can now view the entire library catalogue online. You need a pin number & your library card & then from the comfort of your own armchair, & with a steaming cuppa by your side, you can browse to your hearts' content! Now I liked the sound of that! So last night I gave it a try. It is really user friendly & I quickly found two books I have been interested in seeing, so reserved them. This afternoon I walked up to the local library & collected one of them, the lady up there seemed rather surprised that I really did want a book on crochet (!) but was very helpful & told me they will call me when the other one arrives from whichever branch it is coming from. As easy as that! The book I took out today is one of Jan Eaton's - 200 crochet blocks for blankets, throws, & afghans - so far it looks really good!
So on to the third lovely thing...
It has been another cold, crisp day here; the skies clearing to a beautiful blue as the day progressed. The dog & I headed out to walk down by the river as the light was beginning to fade this afternoon. I love the quality of light at this time of year when the weather is like it was today. The dog seemed to be enjoying the low temperature too & was bouncing happily along the path as though she were a good few years younger then she is! We love walking down here, the small river runs out to join the estuary, the views are pretty, & we can see lots of different birds. The dog has just about accepted she will never catch a duck - that only took her 8 years! This afternoon I was thinking the cold was keeping a lot of the birds away & then, just around the bend, I saw him. Mr Heron! I love it when I can catch a glimpse of him :-) The tide was low & he was standing in the middle of the water - maybe one time I will have the camera with me.
Well I hope you all had a lovely day too! I'm off to get busy with that yarn :-)




10 comments:

  1. What pretty colors~~ Anxious to see what you're making.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I will take a pic soon - promise!

      Delete
  2. Nice colours. Look forward to seeing what you are making!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aren't they? well you might get a sneak preview ;-)

      Delete
  3. Oooo love the sight of a pile of wool!!! What pretty colours you have to play with there :-)
    That's a great book you got there, I love those type of blanket block books. Actually that reminds me I have two lovely knitting ones I was meaning to make a blanket from........
    love Lorl xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pile like that is guaranteed to make you smile isn't it? This is the first time I've seen one of these books but I might be adding it to a wish list later in the year...so many great potential projects in books like this though & we have so much spare time right?!
      love Helen xxx

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a lovely pile of wool! Sounds like some great books you've got there. I look forward to seeing your makes! Laura x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes you feel all warm & fuzzy inside doesn't it? I'm really enjoying the books, hope to post some pics of what I'm up to soon x

      Delete
  5. What a nice day! Enjoy that yarn. I want to hug it! I'm enjoying reading your posts. Very nice writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm loving the yarn it's very cuddly too ;-) thank you, I haven't written anything in years so was a bit nervous about that!

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!