Friday, 10 February 2012

Two amis & a love of yarn

Hello! Nice to see some new folks have joined us - welcome!
I thought I would start off by sharing with you the two amigurumis (amis) I finished last night:

They are minions - characters from the movie "Despicable Me" (a great film even if you don't have young kids!). Originally I made one of these for my youngest brother last year & this came up in a conversation between my daughter & her friends. End result - in the last two weeks I have made three of them! I would like to point out that the pattern is not one of my own designs, I found it at http://wolfdreamer-oth.blogspot.com/2010/07/despicable-minion.html . I don't know anything about the lady behind this blog except she is very talented & has some great ami patterns she is generous enough to share with the rest of us. Do go on over & check them out! I haven't tried any of her other patterns yet but I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of time, after all doesn't the blue of the minions' overalls look a lot like a "Sonic the Hedgehog" kind of blue? ;-) Well the minions were dispatched in the school bag mail this morning & were apparently well received by their new owners so mission accomplished there!
Last week I showed you my lovely chunky yarn that arrived & promised you I would show you what I was going to make with it. Well this project is slightly bigger than the minions & will definitely take me longer to complete! I had been tempted into buying some yarn last summer when we were on holiday. I had thought that I would bring home some craft supplies but planned to stay away from the yarn! After all I wouldn't be sure on quantities & would be unable to get more if I wanted it, and for a little at least while I managed this. But all the good intentions went out of the window when I spied this:
 Now this picture really doesn't do it credit as the days are so grey here right now & the light isn't great, but you get the jist. It is Red Heart Supersaver yarn, two skeins of Monet & one of Ocean, & it kept calling to me from the shelves! On about the fourth or fifth time I came across it on our travels I gave in & bought some with no earthly idea what I would make with it, I just knew I would regret it if I came home without it. So it has been sitting in one of my yarn boxes waiting for me to decide on a project for it...
In one of my January blog browsing sessions I discovered the brilliant http://attic24.typepad.com/ .If you haven't visited Lucy in the Attic yet may I highly recommend a trip? I have fallen in love with her use of bright colors & plan to try out a lot of her patterns in the months to come. I also found the perfect pattern for my Red Heart yarn here. Of course it would need more than just three skeins, so I picked out colors that were in these mixtures - what a great excuse to buy yarn! I spent part of last weekend working on different ways of combining all the colors & this is what I have so far:
Waves of ripply goodness :-) you can find the pattern here http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/neat-ripple-pattern.html with an excellent tutorial if (like me) you have never crocheted a ripple before, I was off & running (or rippling) in no time! I find it an extremely soothing pattern to work; I don't know quite what it is, maybe the gentle rhythm of the "valleys" & the "hills", but I am LOVING this!!! I have decided to keep it as a weekend treat, a reward with far less calories than those I often choose! So come Friday night I will be happily rippling away & I will try & remember to take a photo Sunday night for you before I pack it away for another week.
Well Friday is almost here, I hope you all have a lovely weekend of sunny days & sweet dreams :-)

8 comments:

  1. Love those minions Helen! They're on my list to do- one for my brother's birthday in April for starters! I love Attic24 and am very tempted to start a ripple blanket myself, especially after seeing yours! Fab. Have a great weekend. Laura x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I'm sure your brother would LOVE a minion, the pattern is not too bad the fiddliest bit is probably the hands but a good light helps ;-) Go for it with the ripple! I'd love to see what colors you pick! Helen x

      Delete
  2. The ripple crochet is looking fabulous.I'm sure it won't take you too long to make, you seem to be pretty speedy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just don't want to put it down so hopefully a couple more weekends...

      Delete
  3. Those minions are fantastic....if only I could knit!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhona! I can't knit either, I finally taught myself to crochet last year - a combination of books & youtube! A lot of the amigurumis only use a couple of different stitches so they're perfect for beginners & there are LOADS of free patterns online so if you fancy giving it a try I would go for it! Helen x

      Delete
  4. Love the colours in the ripple blanket :-) You have caught the attic24 bug bad, lol! You had to buy that yarn, it's gorgeous, who cares if you had no clue what to do with it!

    Lori xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori ;-) Oh yes I'm totally taken with her use of color & her brilliant instructions! That was the problem, but once I had given in to this yarn it was even harder to resist the rest...lol Helen xx

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!