Thursday, 19 April 2012

The story of a kitchen

Hello there! It's a cold grey day here but so far it is dry, & I was lucky enough to spy Mr Heron stalking slowly through the shallows of the river as I walked the dog earlier. I always stop & watch him for a little while if I see him when I'm out, but once again I didn't have the camera with me to capture a picture of him. Now the household chores are caught up on and I have a kitten sitting washing herself on one side of me & a big cup of tea on the other so I'm ready to share a story with you. Are you sitting comfortably? Right then we'll begin...
Once upon a time (well all the best stories start that way don't they?) a family moved into a rather shabby, unloved, worn around the edges kind of house. Bit by bit walls were painted, tattered carpets replaced, and a house became a home. There were some big jobs that were completed & some that had to wait and sorting out the kitchen fell into that last category. The appliances had to be replaced one by one over the years & we were very lucky to inherit some leftover worktops from a friend but it was starting to become very apparent that the actual cupboards were in need of some major attention.
Hubbie & I made the rounds of the DIY stores, planned out the changes we would want to make, & came up with a shopping list. Then, with my stomach in knots, partly from the total & partly in case we had made some glaring mistake, we placed our order. The delivery by a local carrier arrived about three weeks before we had been told to expect it & the two very efficient chappies filled the front room with flatpacks & helped me tick off every single box & bag of fixings from the invoice. Then the fun began.... 
I rounded up some big boxes & plastic tubs from the shed and started emptying the kitchen contents. As the family continued to want fed over the next few weeks (how very inconsiderate, right?) I needed to know where to access most of the said contents. We decided to put two of the removed wall units on the table to keep the plates, bowls, mugs & the like in & sat the cutlery drawer on the top.
The fridge was moved out into the hall & the business of making up the new units & fitting them began.
The front room became the workshop area for me to build them up...
And hubbie had the "fun" job of fitting them to the uneven walls...
"Look dear this is how I spent some of my day...
and this was how we spent the evening!
With one wall completed the new sink went in :) 
Ok it wasn't anything like that simple, but we got there in the end without any major floods across the floor. Then the rest of the cupboards went in fairly smoothly (maybe we were becoming better at this, maybe that wall is just straighter!) and finishing touches could be thought about. 
Originally we had discussed painting & thought we might just do one coat all over to freshen things up when we were done. But after a few days of having doors on the new cupboards I decided the orange & blue walls had had their day. Now anyone who has known me for a while will know I LOVE bright colors, they put a smile on my face & make me feel warm & happy inside. For many years this has been reflected inside my house and the children have grown up thinking turquoise walls & silver skirting boards are totally normal. I never batted an eyelid when the boys picked red, grey, & blue for their room - the only way for them to show teenage rebellion on their bedroom walls in this house would have been to pick magnolia! So why was I ready to paint over the orange which I loved so much? It didn't clash with the new doors, it was fine, but....ummm....it was ok, but not WOW perfect! I couldn't explain it better than that to a rather perplexed & tired hubbie who had believed we were almost done with the kitchen. I wanted to make a complete change, and only use colors I would normally have as the pale color in a room. I think that confused the family the most - what? no deep strong color for the kitchen? was mom sickWe spent Easter weekend with paint brushes & rollers in hand & when we were finished my doubts were gone, the family agreed, it was WOW! Would you like to see? Oh all right then... 
Would you like to see the other side of the room? Ok, just for you...
Even with everything back in there & the wolf pictures hung on the walls again it didn't feel like my kitchen. Oh don't get me wrong I LOVED it! A huge grin crept across my face every time I passed the door, but it still felt like someone had come by & swapped out my kitchen for this gorgeous showroom style one. Maybe that was it, it needed a little handmade touch?
I had made some little crochet hearts at Valentines from a pattern here but not really found the perfect place to hang them and I had really liked the little Easter flower pattern Lucy posted here a few weeks back. So while hubbie applied the iron on edging strips to the cupboards I sat at the kitchen table with some yarn, ribbon, & laptop to have a play....
As always Lucy's instructions were so clear & easy to follow that a short while later I had a pile of flowers & a pile of hearts. (If you haven't discovered attic24 yet may I encourage you to pop on over & enjoy!) I made little hoops in the backs of the flowers & hearts & threaded them onto the brown gingham ribbon. I tied a bow in each end of the ribbon & used some extra sticky double sided tape to attach it to the shelf edge like this... 
And this is what I ended up with...

A little piece of hooky goodness :-)
What do you think? The lighting isn't the best for a photo but by then (surprise surprise) it was raining so the lights had to be on in doors. This is the view of the whole back wall on a day when it hadn't begun to rain (yet)...
I have plans for a picture under the shelf but that is a work in progress. All the tools & bits & pieces have been sent back to the garage & I can get on with the business of actually living in my kitchen now. Some mornings when the sun streams through the big window I think I might just stay in there all day :) I certainly won't be stitching that sign " I only have a kitchen because it came with the house!" any more! 
THE END!

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely brilliant!! lol...You really are a great story teller girl, and I love the added touch with the flowers and hearts...The colors are fantastic as well, some I would enjoy having, I'm not a bright colored person, I usually like the magnolia because then you can see whats hung up....lol...Great job you two!! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy! I think part of my love of the stronger, brighter colors is because the sky is so grey here so much of the time ;) xox

      Delete
  2. WOW! That is one stunning kitchen :-) Love th ecolour too, I like my bright colours, hence my bright pink kitchen but that minty colour is so lovely. Love the shelf edging too, a lovely little touch!
    Lori xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes your kitchen is gorgeous & that is much closer to my norm but I'm really loving how much bigger mine looks with the paler colors...
      I have my dragon picture up under the shelf now so with that & the crochet it definitely feels like mine now ;)
      Helen xx

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!