Monday, 21 May 2012

Garden goings-on...

Hello there! What a busy week it's been - definitely time to start catching you up on goings on here...
The UK has been having very un-springlike weather but, in amidst the general rain & gloom, we had a few hours of sunshine so I popped out into the garden to capture it...



 Despite the chill in the air May is creeping onwards & the first signs of the potatoes are appearing from below the black plastic... 
 I think they have been extra glad of the added warmth of the plastic this year! The onions have also gotten going so it was time to remove the fleece...
 Time also to move the leeks to the cold frame in preparation for planting them out in a few weeks...
I had hoped for a weekend of "Big Jobs in the Garden" but Saturday's weather lent itself to a greenhouse day instead. Firstly hubbie suggested a move around to give me a bit more space in there. Once we were done I couldn't work out why we have never tried it this way round before - I even have space for a folding chair to sit with a cuppa & write up my garden diary as I work!
 
I have kept a garden diary for years now, I use it to record whatever I have done out there & when I did it, & what the weather was like at the time. Then I can compare results from different varieties grown in different years, & it also helps me not panic when I think I'm way behind getting something done & I look back to previous years & see I have been that late before!
Saturday's next job was to check on the seeds I had already sown & sow some more. As usual there were mixed results, quite a few of the seedlings needed moved on to bigger pots by themselves...
  ...the borage... 
...the courgettes...
... and the cabbages all got extra space to wriggle their roots :)
 Some of the others are happy staying where they are for a bit longer... 
The peas in their guttering... 
...the beetroot in their cells... 
...and the two happily growing runner beans. I sowed more runners, cabbages, beetroot, peas, cauliflower, lettuce, spring onions & radishes which only leaves me carrots to sow directly in the bed outside. Hopefully I will get a chance to do that this week...
Sunday saw better weather so I took the opportunity to weed & bark the bed next to the garage. I have found it so much easier to keep on top of the weeding in the beds once the bark is down so bit by bit over the last few years I have been working my way round the garden. I have one remaining bed left to weed & bark now, but it's a biggie so certainly won't be a one day job!
I have some crafty makes to share with you too but I am going to leave that for another day - the sun has decided to come visit today so I am going out to make the most of it & tackle some more of that weeding! I hope the sun is shining where you are too :)


2 comments:

  1. Wow! Ya'll sound practically self sufficient...wish I had the "want too" to do all that, not that we have that much space, but its so exciting to see your work come to fruition! Great again girl! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy ;) We don't have the space for huge quantities of each veg so while the young folks are still at home it is a ways from self sufficiency, but once it's just hubbie & me... enjoy the good weather while it lasts! xox

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!