Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Winnie the Pooh and the rainbow of yarn

Hello Hello! Welcome! 
The first day of a new month - May already? - between the garden, family, crafting, & the house I have been busy, busy, busy over the last week! Today I'd like to share a couple of projects with you, firstly another finished item for my soon-to-appear grandchild. The nursery theme of Winnie the Pooh lent itself perfectly to this cot quilt that I found on ebay. It's a DMC ready made item so came complete with four blank aida pockets for me to stitch. Four pockets? Well that must be one for Tigger...
One for Piglet... 
One for Eeyore...
 
And of course one for Pooh!
 
Being fairly small (the fabric was 18count) they don't show up very well in whole quilt photos but here are a few to give you an idea...
 

 We delivered it to my son & daughter-in-law on Friday night to add to the growing pile of baby things taking over their flat :)
So onto the second project. This is still a Work In Progress but it is growing very rapidly - mainly because I am Love Love Loving it! The week after Easter I was catching up on some of my blogreading & came across a beautiful blanket HERE at Little Tin Bird. It is an Attic 24 pattern which Heather had handily linked to HERE and while I was admiring this my daughter came in to see what I was up to.
"Ooooooohhhhh! I love all those beautiful colors! Could you make me one please mum?"
Well enthusiasm like that is hard to resist so we stopped everything & got the boxes of yarn out across the floor to come up with our own rainbow of yarn. A trip to the city later that day gave us the opportunity to complete our box...
 At this point I must add that I'm still playing with all the settings for white balance on the camera & I'm finding the bright colors of this particular project a real challenge! I will crack it eventually I promise... until then please bear with me. None of the colors are actually neon but they are bright - well I suppose the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree & my daughter has well & truly inherited my love of bright colors! 
I read Lucy's entries on making her Big Blanket & especially loved the design idea behind it, essentially brightly colored flower circles growing in squares like a potager garden. Of course the overall look of mine will be different as we picked different colors & I have chosen to use them slightly differently within the pattern but I have kept the overall idea in mind. I started off on April 13 with some little flower circles.
These grew quite rapidly...
  Next I made them into little squares...
 ...and then four little squares join up to make a bigger square...
At this point they need blocking...
 Once dry they are ready for their borders. Four rows of "grannying". I don't know if that is the technical term for it but that's what Lucy calls it so it's good enough for me! 





These big squares come out about 10" so I am working up 24 of them to make a 6 x 4 rectangle. When a final border is added that should cover my daughter's single bed nicely. I now have eight of them completed, four blocking, & a pile waiting to be blocked - they are totally addictive! If you want to make your own version then you can find Lucy's awesome instructions on her blog starting HERE with the flower circles & little squares. I am totally loving making this blanket! It is hard to put down & there is no doubt my daughter will get this one way quicker than the Winnie The Pooh quilt I started for her last year! That is definitely a UFO (UnFinished Object) which I really must dig out again & finish for her, maybe in time for her 18th next January? 
I hope this new month brings happy times to you, meanwhile the sun has decided to come out here so it's back to the garden I go! 






8 comments:

  1. I loved that baby blanket, so soft and I could practically smell the baby powder...:o) I also love your Granny squares...my problem is I am too inpatient to way and actually block them, so I end up with "cupped" squares because I crochet AND sew too tightly...wish I had your patience!! Keep it coming girl...love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you :) I'm wet blocking them & the acrylic yarn dries pretty quickly so it gives me a chance to make more while they dry - no waiting around twiddling my fingers lol

      Delete
  2. Baby blanket is gorgeous. I absolutely adore all those lovely colours in your crochet blanket, that will be stunning when completed...can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) My daughter is eager for it to grace her bed so it shouldn't be too long a wait lol

      Delete
  3. Those squares are beautiful! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rebekah - have a great weekend :)

      Delete
  4. This quilt is nice as there are pooh bear,tigger,eyore and piglet on it.Pooh Baby Shower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is being well used now Baby H is here ;)

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!