Thursday, 28 June 2012

The return of the stitchy bug!

Hello! I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while but there has been so much going on here I really don't know where June has disappeared to :0 I thought tonight I really should start catching up on some online things instead of giving in to the call of my stitching ;) For yes, at last my stitchy bug is back!!! Although I have still had various cross stitch projects on the go, the accompanying irresistible pull of needle & thread has been missing since early in the year. This has never happened to me before & it has been a very weird feeling :/
The chart that brought my stitchy bug home was a little penguin I couldn't resist buying from the website of talented designer Rhona Norrie. For years many of us have enjoyed her designs in the various cross stitch magazines but now you can access her charts directly HERE. This is the first time I have bought a pattern in pdf form & I can highly recommend it! No need to stalk the postman, the chart arrived promptly in my inbox & it was straightforward to print out a nice clear copy to work from - oh yes, I will definitely be doing this again! I stitched this little guy for my brother's birthday card in a couple of nights, changing the colors of his uniform as my brother is an Indianapolis Colts fan - well I guess someone has to be! ;) 
 He is from a set of cute sporty penguins, please do go check out Rhona's website (she has some great finishing ideas on there too). She also writes a highly enjoyable blog packed full of inspiring ideas and humor which you can find HERE.
From my stash I picked the lime green paper because the pattern reminded me of laces on a football or pair of trainers. I backed it with a dark brown paper to match the football & cut one side of a navy blue strip with edging scissors to glue at the top of the card. I backed the stitching with white card & used sticky fixers to mount it to give a raised effect. For the greeting I used a gold peel off on a pale blue paper layered with red card & mounted with a couple more sticky fixers. A red candi in each corner finished it off.
The following week I stitched this design for my eldest son & his partner who have just moved into their new home.
It was very quick to stitch, which was just as well considering all the to-ing & fro-ing with boxes & furniture, babysitting, & birthday & Father's Day activity that was going on that weekend!
I also have three papercraft birthday cards I can share with you now. The first one was for my niece's birthday. She's a "girly girl" so I picked a Tatty Teddy stamp, colored it in with Promarkers, & layered it on some pearlescent pink card. I picked some patterned papers from my stash & finished it off with silver peel offs & dark pink candis in the corners.
The next card was for my youngest nephew - turning 3 years old already! I picked a cute puppy stamp & used the Promarkers again, layering it on blue & green papers from my stash.
The last card was for my hubbie who celebrated his birthday in the middle of the month. Once again I went with a Tatty teddy theme, using papers & cardboard diecut shapes that were free with a card making magazine recently. I picked some coordinating ribbons & buttons from my stash to finish it off. 
I'm sorry the colors aren't great in these photos, it has been so grey & dull this month & I haven't gotten around to making the lightbox I want to help combat this. I have been busy making some more cards for upcoming birthdays which I will share with you once they have reached their destinations. I also have some other goodies to show you but I think that will need to wait for another post... 
Right, time to get going, thank you for dropping by to visit with me today - I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day!

6 comments:

  1. Lovely finishes!
    My stitchy bug has returned too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad your bug has found his way home too - it's very strange without them isn't it?
      Helen

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love the new photo at the top of your blog, Helen, so cute!! Gorgeous stitching. I actually started the home sweet home kit myself the other night- I'm on a bit of a stash reduction challenge!! lol. Love the papercraft cards as well, so pretty. I can't remember if I mentioned it, but I've got a new blog now:
    http://strawberrymousecrafts.wordpress.com/
    Do pop over and say hi if you get the chance :-) Glad the stitchy bug has returned! Laura x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, will look forward to seeing which design you pick to put in the card! Ooooh a new blog? You busy girl! Am going to pop over to see what you're up to ;-) Helen x

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing more wonderful tips and I really love all the stuffed critters you have made at the top...Keep it coming!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, decided to change the page a bit & found this photo which seemed made to measure ;) Helen x

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!