Friday, 8 June 2012

Two Taa-dahs!

Hello there and welcome!
Today (as you might have guessed from the title) I can share two finished projects with you, firstly the blanket I have been making for my daughter. 
It began back in April Here with finding the pattern & choosing the yarn and progressed quite rapidly as I found the little flower circles highly addictive! I basically fell in love with the whole process of circles to squares, joining four small squares into a bigger square, & then edging them with four rows of grannying. Whether watching TV of an evening, enjoying some sunshine in the garden, or sitting in the car outside my daughters' piano lesson, the squares & accompanying box of yarn came too. In what seemed like no time at all I had 96 little squares which became 24 large squares & it was time to arrange them & join them together. In the space of a day & a half the big pile of squares magically became one big blanket! All it needed was a border. From the sixteen colors I had used in the blanket my daughter & I picked out eight to add a rainbow all the way round. Progress slowed as with each of the eight colors it took me longer & longer to get around all four sides, but eventually it was time for the last row - eeeek! the excitement!!! While I liked the edging Lucy had used for her blanket Here I decided to go for a different one I had seen Here on Bunny Mummy's blog. Oh what wonderful options & inspirations I find here in Blogland! 
So would you like to see the finished blanket? 
Here we go then... Taa-dah!!
 Although my daughter liked Lucy's blanket we made a few changes to her design, mainly to do with color. We started with a palette of sixteen colors rather than Lucy's fourteen, and, although we were looking for a bright, random effect overall, I thought we should have a few elements of pattern in order to unify the whole blanket. I picked four colors, royal blue, aqua, lilac, & turquoise, to turn every circle into a little square. Our blanket would be smaller than Lucy's one (single bed rather than double bed sized) so I needed four big squares in each of the six rows. As my daughter loves purple we decided that each square needed to have purple somewhere in the four rows of grannying that edge every big square. On one square in every row I put purple on the final row, on the other three squares I picked either raspberry, turquoise, or dark red for the final row.   
Here it is in it's new home on my daughter's bed...
 We decided to rename it slightly as the Rainbow Flower Circle Blanket. Look at all those bright colors sitting happily side by side! I absolutely love it and so does it's new owner :)
Right. On to the second Taa-dah for today.
I have probably mentioned a few times that I like to have a smaller project on the go at the same time as a big one both for my cross stitching & my crochet. The smaller crochet project I have been working on was a toy for Baby H that I first mentioned Here. I think it is a distinct possibility this little boy will end up with quite a few crocheted toys! The first one I chose to make for him is the Pond Friends Stacking Toy...
It's from a free pattern available on the Lion Brand website Here and uses the supersoft aran yarn I was so excited about a couple of weeks ago. It was really lovely to work with :)  
 This makes up as a base with a Froggy post, and three rings - a Bee...
 ...Ladybug...
...and Dragonfly... 
This was a really fun project to work on and hopefully Baby H will have some fun with it too over the months to come :)
I now have two new projects on the go to keep me out of mischief which I hope to share with you soon. I wish you all a lovely weekend, we are hoping the weather will improve enough for a family BBQ on Sunday - wishful thinking?????!!!

12 comments:

  1. Wow! look at those. Amazing work! That stacking toy is brilliant. He'll have so much fun playing with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dvorah! I really hope so ;) Have a great weekend!
      H x

      Delete
  2. Wow and Wow!!! I love both your items...that blanket is so bright and cheerful...I know your daughter is going to cherish it forever...I know I would! And the ring stack is downright adorable...Baby H is going to love it, but bet he makes a funny face when he puts it in his mouth the first time! lol...What a great Grandma you are!! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Cathy! Maybe the first hundred times he puts it in his mouth if he's anything like his dad ;)
      H xox

      Delete
  3. the blanket is georgeous how old is your daughter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) My daughter is seventeen, so hopefully in fifteen months or so she'll be heading off to uni with this, and maybe one or two others to keep her warm ;)

      Delete
  4. Your blanket is gorgeous....all those scrummy colours! And as for you stacking toy - that's adorable! Baby H is going to have so much fun with that...too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhona! I had so much fun playing with those yummy colors - kids don't have to have ALL the fun toys ;) Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  5. WOW fabulous ta-dahs! Really well done!! Laura x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, I enjoyed both these projects immensely ;) Helen x

      Delete
  6. I'm very impressed, what a stunning blanket, love the bright colours you used! The toy is fabulous, what a brilliant pattern for a baby toy :-) I'm sure that the little lad will get plenty of toys made by his proud Grandma!
    love Lori xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Lori! Yes, I'm pretty sure this is just the first of many toys heading in that direction ;)
      love, Helen xxx

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!