Thursday, 19 July 2012

A spot more sewing...

Hello there! It has been one of those chaotic weeks here - partly because hubbie is now on holidays from work which means another big DIY job is under way, and partly because my old, beloved washing machine finally died at the end of last week so we have been sorting out a replacement & running back & forth to my eldest son's house to do laundry! Of course I have to have a cuddle with/ feed baby H on every visit so it is not a quick call each time ;)
I haven't managed to add a stitch to the poor dragon WIP in over a week but I do have some other sewing I can share with you today (as you might have guessed from the title of this post). I think I might have mentioned before how handy  deadly Ebay is for me when it comes to buying crafting goodies? Well the other week I saw some gorgeous fabric. I didn't have a clue what I could do with it, but I had to think of something because it even started invading my dreams! No one else in the house seemed that enthusiastic about it when showed the pictures, or when I floated some ideas for things I could make with it, but I pressed on regardless because I HAD to have it. Somewhere where I could see it every day. I was totally bitten by it, can you tell? ;-) Eventually I decided I would make some cushion pads for the chair backs in the kitchen. "Why? The chairs are really comfy, they don't need a cushion!" I got told. "It will make it look pretty" I replied, which earned me an answering grunt...
I planned & measured & emailed the seller with a couple of questions, she was very prompt in replying, and I purchased the quantity she suggested. I bought the same fabric in two colorways because a) I couldn't decide which one I loved the most & b) I solved that problem by planning on making the fronts from one colorway & the backs from the other. 
I was very excited to receive the thin package in the mail a few days later, but unfortunately we had had a mix up between inches & centimetres & there was not enough fabric to use as I had planned :( It was beautiful tho'! So time for a rethink...  In the end I went fabric shopping locally & found a fabric I could use with both colorways to make the backs of the cushions leaving me enough fabric to do two fronts in each colorway. I also bought some more batting/wadding (whichever you want to call it!) to pad the cushions with. The last couple of materials I needed for this project were buttons & ribbons from my stash so now I was good to go. I found the trickiest part of putting them together was working out how to attach the ribbons at the top corners so they sat the way I wanted them to, but I got there in the end...
 I used some of the heart ribbon I bought in Sunderland a few weeks ago to make loops to sit around the tops of the chair.
I used some brown gingham ribbon from my stash at the bottom two corners of the cushion to tie at the back of the chair.
This is the red gingham fabric I bought locally to back the cushions (you can also see the brown gingham bows better in this photo).
I used four layers of batting/wadding to pad the cushions with & slipstitched the bottom edge of each cushion closed.

The final detail was to stitch six buttons on the front of each cushion to help keep the filling in place. I used two different designs of the hand painted wooden buttons I bought from ebay a few months ago...
 flowers... 
 ...and butterflies.
 Once I had worked out the first cushion the other three were much quicker to finish, and at least I can honestly say this is one project where I have bought the materials & completed the whole thing inside of a week! (A constant refrain in this house is "Why are you buying more craft stuff when you haven't used up everything you already have?") 
Now the cushions are in use the family like them & maybe would even go so far as seeing the point of them! I will leave you with one last shot of the chairs sitting around the kitchen table...
Thank you for dropping by to visit me today - I hope you are having a lovely week filled with good things :-) 

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh, gorgeous fabric! I can see why you had to have it in both colourways. Fabulous cushions and well done for getting them completed so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhona, I can drool over fabric online for hours! I think this is definitely a record on completing a project for me ;)Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful work Helen!....I love the fabric choices and the addition of the pretty ribbon and buttons,
    Hope you have a lovely Sunday,
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan! Hope you are having a lovely week too,
      Helen x

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!