Thursday, 12 July 2012

A spot of sewing

Hello hello! Good afternoon! 
Do you find your trips around the blogosphere inspiring??? In the five months since I started exploring here I have found delights I would never have dreamed of & a wealth of friendly folk sharing their ideas & experiences - how come I didn't know about all this sooner?!?!?!A few weeks ago I was reading Kristen's blog and thought "Wow! That's just what I need to make!" If you haven't visited her blog before do go on over & say hi - she makes beautiful things! On this particular post she was sharing a clothespin bag she had made. Now my bag for the clothes pegs was in a sorry state. A very sorry state. I have no idea why I hadn't really thought about doing anything about it until I read Kristen's post, but once I saw her new bag I became even more ashamed of mine barely hanging together lopsidedly on the line. Last week I spent a big chunk of time sorting out the loft, including pulling out ALL my fabric, throwing it all across my (absent) son's bedroom floor, & sorting it into piles by color. By doing this I reacquainted myself with remnants I hadn't seen in years & hopefully have made it a lot easier to select coordinating fabrics for future projects - sometimes being good & tackling a yucky non crafty job like the loft has unforeseen crafty rewards ;-) ! When I realised I needed to rediscover a bedroom floor for the returning offspring I set about packing the piles into boxes & bags, but decided it would be a good time to pick out some fabrics for a new peg bag first. For while I had been sorting the loft most of my brain had wandered off to a happy place thinking about new things to make with my reorganised stash ;-) 
The peg bag in Kristen's post was from a beautifully simple idea at this blog. Given a fabric placemat or even a teatowel the whole thing should take 15 minutes. So I wasn't going to do it that way!!!! Why do I always have to over complicate things???? Well I decided I could tweak it a bit & give myself a practice at a technique I'm thinking of using on some Christmas presents this year (I told you my brain was off roaming while I sorted!).
I picked two old curtains that were the same type of fabric but in different colorways but to make the actual bag out of & three small scraps of fabric to make the owl from. I haven't done any applique since second year at school (...ummm...many years ago!) so, while it is far from perfect, I'm still quite satisfied with the result...
After all he is going to sit outside on the washing line & probably get rained on a lot so he doesn't need to be 100% spot on. (This was actually quite hard for the perfectionist in me to accept!) I used some wool from my stash to embroider his beak & picked two buttons from the big button tin that used to be my Nan's for his eyes
He probably took me about 4 enjoyable hours to make, I took photos along the way so I can post a tutorial in the next day or so of exactly what I did for those of you who are interested. Overall he is a VAST improvement on the old peg bag (which went straight in the bin once the pegs were in Mr Owl - a sign of just how far gone the fabric was that it didn't even make the recycle pile!) so now all I need is some dry weather to peg some laundry out!!!
I hope you are enjoying your day whatever the weather. Thank you for dropping by to visit!


Note: I have now added a tutorial for this project, you can find it under the tutorial tab at the top of the page under Applique Peg Bag - I would love to hear how you get on if you make one!

8 comments:

  1. I loooooove it! The little owl! Dang, that's cute. Cute + functional is the very best. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristen! Like I said, without your blog it would never have happened so thank YOU! Have a great weekend :)
      Helen x

      Delete
  2. Perfect timing! This is something I have wanted to do for ages but didn't know where to start! Love your owl - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I have now added the tutorial - hope that helps Rhona? Will look forward to seeing your one, have a great weekend,
      Helen

      Delete
  3. Your owl peg bag is lovely Helen!...I do agree too that the blog world is a wonderfully inspiring place to be...
    Thank you so much for calling by my blog today and your lovely comments,
    Hope you are having a lovely weekend,
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan! I love visiting your blog, I was hooked as soon as I saw your animals :) Have a great week,
      Helen x

      Delete
  4. Love the pegbag!! What a great bonus to having to tidy the loft finding all the fabric and goodies to play with :-)

    Well done you, the applique looks pretty good to me, I'm not much good at it!

    love Lori xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori, yup a great silver lining ;-) Hope your week is going great,
      Love Helen xxx

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!