Friday, 21 September 2012

The "To Do" List

Hello there! Do you have a long craft "to do" list? It has been quite a while since I made a new ami, there are a whole pile of them on my "to do" list but they seem to keep getting bumped down the list by another project! Does that sound familiar? I saw someone somewhere describe it as "Craft ADD" - you start a project & then something else catches your eye that you just have to make & then there's something else that needs to be added to the list because it is just so appealing & on it goes... I really do try not to have too many things on the go at once but they have a habit of creeping up on me and my "to do " list gets longer with every passing week! 
Well last week I really needed to put everything on hold for a little bit & get a new ami done as I had had a request from a good friend for two seals & I only had one in the ami box. I didn't have enough yarn left to make a second identical seal so we had a chat about possible colors for the new seal & a dark charcoal grey was chosen. The pattern is by Lion Brand, I'm not sure if it's on their website but it appears in the booklet "Vanna's Choice Easy Crochet Critters". These little patterns are just great! I have done most of the ones in the booklet, some of them several times over! So here may I present Sally Seal's brother Sammy...
Here are Sammy & Sally together just before jumping into a box to fly down to Fife!
Now in my last post I promised you a stitchy update. After about five days my progress on the Christmas stocking looked like this...
Not a bad start, but then I got side tracked... After all it is only September & there is plenty of time 'til Christmas & there are some charts I have been dying get stuck into... I figured I could sneak one in before the Christmas stitching really has to begin in earnest! This is the one I chose...
She is the Ladybird Fairy by Joan Elliott. I have so many charts by this designer on my "must stitch" list but always hovering near the top are the fairies. There are the four seasonal fairies, the set of six flower fairies, and the soon-to-be set of six garden fairies of which the Ladybird Fairy is the first. I have been admiring her since I bought the magazine she appeared in in February & every two months when the next in the series comes out I eagerly drive into the city to buy a copy of the magazine. I'm not too sure where I will find wall space for sixteen fairies, but I that will be a bridge I will happily find a way to cross when I get there! Oh I forgot there are also four fairies in Joan's book "Fairy Enchantment" that I need to stitch, one of them is riding a dragon so makes a perfect partner for the Crescent Moon Dragon! OK so twenty fairies then... heaven help me if she starts a new set of fairies next year! 
A few years ago I stitched "Fairy Mother & Child" by the same designer as a birth sampler for one of my nieces...
I absolutely loved stitching this & looking back I think this is what started my Joan Elliott addiction ;-) Yes, I will readily admit it is an addiction as in addition to countless charts from magazines I have six of her books! So I decided I should take at least one off the pile this year (depending on how everything else comes along I might manage to squeeze in either the Winter or Autumn fairies too?) I am love, LOVE, LOVING stitching the Ladybird fairy and she is coming along nicely. Here's the Week One progress picture...
In fact I think it's about time to make a cuppa & get her back out to finish that wing! Thank you for stopping by today, I hope your weekend is filled with lovely things :-) 

8 comments:

  1. Wow an amazing start on Labybird Fairy. I love the colours in her. I too have a load of JE's designs but have only worked on a couple of small one by her. I have to say they are very enjoyable to stitch though. Your seals are so cute also. I know what you mean about the never ending list of things I really want to make but by the time I get home from work and get some study in - I usually only have the energy for stitching. Some day I will get round to doing all the things I want :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Whether big or small there is definitely something about JE's designs that makes them lovely to stitch. I had years of very limited crafting time so am making the most of having more now, your turn for that will come I'm sure ;)

      Delete
  2. I don't even have room for any cross-stitching at all on my to do list right now, but once the winter months have drawn in ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter is a great time for squeezing in a few stitchy hours - I'm looking forward to seeing what you get up to ;) Have a great weekend,
      Helen x

      Delete
  3. I'm glad it's not just me that has a to-do list that just keeps getting longer and longer! Joan Elliott designs are all gorgeous, so I can understand why they are on your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew there would be folks on here that would relate ;) I also have quite a few of your designs on my list...

      Delete
  4. Joan Elliott fairies are stunning! I haven't see the ladybird fairy, wow she is gorgeous. I have a MASSIVE to do list, lol!! Very cute seals, that little ami booklet is great isn't it! Enjoy your stitching x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, The set Ladybird belongs to are in Cross Stitch Collection magazine, the latest one is a Dragonfly fairy & I was torn between her & Ladybird as to who to start first. Really must tear myself away from the stitching long enough to go catch up on your blog too! Hope all is good with you? Helen x

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!