Thursday, 1 November 2012

Halloween stitching

Hello and Happy Halloween!

This is the pumpkin Hubbie carved for us tonight - rather a cheeky Jack isn't he? He kept us company in the front room tonight while the young folk went out to the school Halloween disco.
We also had these lit...
I found them in a local garden center the other week, they are supposedly Christmas decorations but I must be missing the link between owls & Christmas! Anyway I absolutely LOVE them & they will be year round tealight holders for me. I chose two different colorways, one in red & two in a very orangey gold which you can see a bit better in the next photo...
So on to the stitching...
Don't you just love it when you see a chart that you know is just perfect for a certain person? When I saw this little fairy in one of the cross stitch magazines I thought she would make the perfect Halloween card for my friend Lori. (If you don't know her she makes the most exquisite things - do go visit her blog here or see her facebook page Hippywitch Crafts) 
I had great fun stitching her & then turning her into a card, but an absolute nightmare photographing her! The colors just did not want to stay true & to capture the metallic glint of the bronze heat embossed words other parts look washed out - arrgghh! Well anyways you get the idea...
Then late one night I found another irresistable design that was crying out to be made into the accompanying present. It used a mug with a stitchable insert identical to one I have had in my stash for quite a while just waiting for that perfect chart. The insert is a vinyl aida material which I had never stitched on before, I would imagine it behaves pretty much like plastic canvas but I haven't gotten around to trying that yet either! I used shorter lengths of the metallic purple thread than I would usually to minimise the wear on it as I pulled it through the hard vinyl but otherwise it was little different to stiff aida. I added a black bead for the spiders' body and the red & orangey beads for the flames, it's a bit crinkly looking here because I couldn't iron it as normal when I was finished...

 Here it is mounted in the mug all ready to jump in a box & fly down south...
The other Halloween card I made this year was for my friend Cathy. The design is called "Home Sweet Pumpkin" and you can find it here. I stitched it on a different count aida than suggested because I liked this dark blue that I had in my stash better than the fabric they had used. This meant that it came out the wrong size to use the same charms that were listed so I picked two little silver pumpkin charms from my stash instead... 
I have been stitching a Halloween design for us to keep but with one thing and another I only worked the last backstitches tonight! It will need to wait for my next post... 
I hope you all had a lovely Halloween! Watch out - here comes November!



6 comments:

  1. I love all that you have made, especially my card..:o) It was a terrific choice as one of my CB friends made me a card with the same little witch as your other card so I get BOTH the adorable pictures for keeps...cant wait to see your card you made for yourself...plus the Jack is cute as well...I really love the coffee mug too, and have never seen the vinyl strips to sew on...thanks for sharing all of these! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like your card ;) That is neat you got the other one too! I don't know if you can still get those mugs back home, I got mine from a friend about 8? years ago & I don't know how long she had had it in her stash! Have a great week, Helen xox

      Delete
  2. They all look great. I love the mug, such a wonderful present. Well Done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Have a great week, Helen

      Delete
  3. Brilliant pumpkin. And lovely Halloween makes.Witchy mug is fab!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph! Have a great weekend, Helen x

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!