Tuesday, 1 January 2013

Christmas cards 2012

Hello hello! It's been a while since I posted, but new year, new start...
I didn't end up making many Christmas cards in 2012 but here are a few of the ones I did make...
This was a lovely free pattern by designer Robin Shappell of Samplerbird Stitchery. I found it online here. If I were to stitch it another time I would use either a darker evenweave or a different color metallic for the snowflakes, as the metallic white doesn't show up that well on the antique white evenweave. Here's a view of the whole card...
This was one of my favorite ones, I had hoped to stitch some of the others from this set of six that appeared in an issue of Cross Stitch Card Shop magazine in 2011. They are by the talented designer Rhona Norrie (follow the link to her excellent blog!) & this, like many of her designs, was a really enjoyable stitch. Maybe I will stitch the others for next Christmas...
I tried a spot of metal foil embossing using a wee free kit that came with one of the card magazines. This was my first attempt at anything in this line & I quite enjoyed it! You can use Promarkers (or any comparable pens) to color the silver foil however you like, I used a burnt orange for the reindeer & a deep green for the holly leaves. If you do this be warned the pens do take a little while to dry on this surface...
Back to some stitching then. Here are two from a set that appeared in Cross Stitch Card Shop magazine in 2011. The whole set was designed to be stitched on red aida but I decided to try dark blue for the snowman. I also added a strand of metallic blending filament to the black backstitch, it doesn't show up so much in the photos but does add an extra sparkle to the actual design.


Finally here is one from last summer's Handmade Cards Ultimate Collection by Cross Stitcher magazine. Can you guess who this one went to?
Thank you for visiting today, I hope you have all had a lovely Christmas time & 2013 brings many new & wonderful things your way. I hope to be back soon to share some other recent makes with you.

2 comments:

  1. great cards, I especially love the first one. I must say that I didn't spot the snowflakes until you mentioned them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay :) Yes the snowflakes are pretty invisible aren't they? Oh well live & learn... Have a great weekend, Helen

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!