Sunday, 24 February 2013

January birthdays

Hello and welcome!
Before we leave February I thought I should share with you some of the cards I made for all those January birthdays (yes I'm still playing catch up - can you tell?). I think I have whined  mentioned before that in our family we have way too many birthdays crammed into that month and this probably goes a long way to explaining why it's often around the middle of February before I feel I can exhale again for the first time since late November!  Yes, I willingly admit I added my three to the January baby boom, but 3 out of 19 is not a big proportion...
We start each year with my eldest son's birthday on New Year's Day. He is a HUGE Star Wars fan and I came across a whole bunch of these little charts online a few years back and have been looking for ways to use them for him. For this card I combined six different ones with the help of some graph paper & used some green & red card, red ribbon, & silver peeloffs from my stash (no prizes for guessing what age he turned this year!)...
A week later it is my youngest brother's turn. As I stitched cards for my two brothers with summer birthdays last year I really wanted to make the time to stitch cards for my youngest brother & my sister (who also has a January birthday). Because the mail can be a bit hit & miss in early January & this card had to travel 5,000 odd miles I got started on this back in November. I picked this particular chart from an old issue of World of Cross Stitch as he shares my love of wolves ...
The following week one of my sisters' boys has his birthday. I wanted something bright, cheerful, & simple for this little guy so used a bright turquoise card & some jungle themed embossed stickers from my stash. Silver peeloffs & a length of ribbon also from my stash finished it off, again no prizes for guessing either his age or his name ;-)
A few days later it is our first double birthday of the year, my daughter & younger son. I always find I have plenty of ideas for my daughters' cards, & as she is hoping to study music at university later this year and her main instrument is the viola these diecuts seemed made for her! I cut out a patterned pink & a plain metallic red heart shape to put behind the viola & added some gold peeloffs from my stash...
By contrast I was racking my brain for my younger son's card....When he was little it was easy as he LOVED monkeys, but since he has become too grown up to go giddy over anything monkey themed I have found it harder & harder. He does love his computer though so when I found this computer paper in my stash I decided to work from there. Some coordinating paper, navy card & ribbon, silver peeloffs, green sequins & green & orange gems from my stash & I had a card for him...
Towards the end of the month it's my sister's birthday. She also loves wolves and I found this chart online here which seemed pretty perfect for her. Due to my headaches playing up this took a lot longer to stitch than it should have & it only just reached her in time! 
The following day it is another of my nephew's birthdays - it does get more difficult to come up with something suitable as the boys get get older doesn't it?
A couple of days later we had another girl reaching one of those milestone birthdays. I used the Pazzle to cut the numbers from some girlie paper in my stash & finished the card off with coordinating paper, gold peeloffs, & gems...
My cousin's daughter just squeezed into the January birthday gang by arriving on the last day of the month fifteen years ago (oh boy how the years fly by!) A while back I purchased a themed pack of card making supplies from a local craft shop. It contained items from the Midnight Fairytale range by Papermania which you can see on their web page here. I really like this range, the colors are gorgeous, but the shimmery metallic effects on some of the materials & the reflective holographic peel offs that look so beautiful in person are a nightmare to photograph! I couldn't get decent photos of the first couple of cards I made using this pack, and this photo doesn't really show off the colors in the vellum window amongst other things... 

Well those are the highlights of the January cards for this year, I am hoping to show you the February cards soon, and also have stitching, sewing, & crochet to share with you (I have been busy this month!). Don't forget there's still time to enter my giveaway here if you haven't entered already, it's open until midnight GMT Monday February 25th... I'll be back soon to let you know who won...  


4 comments:

  1. I love your cards especially the Star Wars one! Such a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebekah, it was pretty quick to stitch too :) Have a great week, Helen

      Delete
  2. The cards are great. I especially love the flamingo/toucan card. too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary-Grace, I think the birthday boy liked it too ;) Have a great week, Helen

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!