Tuesday, 12 March 2013

Blankets, blankets....

Hello there!
I have so much I need to catch you up on, for while I haven't been online as much in recent months I have been busy making things! I need to carve out some peace & quiet for writing, sort out some photos, & hope Blogger behaves ;-)
Back here I shared my blanket addiction with you & said that I had started on a new one, now it (should of) arrived with it's new owners I can tell you all about it.
It began with a trip to Hobbycraft. Not our local, tiny Hobbycraft, but the big one in Aberdeen (that always signals some serious stash shopping and this trip in January was no exception!) However I am usually not that impressed with their yarn selection & manage to get out of those aisles with nothing extra in my basket, but this time I fell for a beautiful color phased baby yarn in shades of pink, peach, lilac, and lemon. Helped by the "3 for 2" yarn offer three balls of the gorgeous Sirdar Baby Changes DK jumped straight into my basket! The only down side I can find to this yarn is it is pretty much imposssible to capture accurately on camera on grey January days! I have borrowed this picture from Deramores website...
When I bought it I had no definite ideas on what I would make with it but over the next little while I decided it just had to become a baby blanket. (This decision was helped somewhat by the arrival of a new baby girl in our family in Montana!) I looked online for the right pattern to go with this yarn & in the end plumped for this one, the Fast Easy Baby Blanket (which is also available here for non ravelry folks). This is now going to be my go to baby blanket pattern. I just LOVED it! It was really quick & simple to pick up & boy did it work up fast! In no time at all I had this already...
 
I found the best way to capture the color was to lay it on a pale towel, but even this really isn't totally accurate. And it doesn't convey how soft & drapey it became as it grew. I chose to make the toddler size listed in the pattern so began with a chain of 145 (36"), I used all three balls & it came out at 45" in length when I was done. Would you like to see?

I cut a gift tag shape out of lilac card & stamped this on one side...
I cut the washing instructions off one of the yarn bands & wrote the yarn content on the top so it's new owners would know what it was made of & how best to clean it...
Then I added some ribbon to the tag & safety pinned it to the folded blanket...
I hope it comes in handy for a little girl to snuggle under!
This was a pretty quick make as blankets go, probably three weeks tops? Once it was on it's way I decided it was time to start a bigger blanket project & began to round up some dk yarn. Would you like to see? OK then, just for you...

7 comments:

  1. I love the blanket and I've seen the yarn in the markets and know how it reaches out and makes you want to buy and use it!! I safely ignore it by telling myself I have no more grandkids coming! LOL...but its beautiful...that blanket looks so light and cozy at the same time...now what are you going to do with the bright colors?? xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy! Sometimes the yarn just yells too loudly at me & even if I don't immediately know what it's going to be used for it has to come home with me lol You will have to stay tuned to see what kind of blanket is growing out of that box ;-) xoxo

      Delete
  2. Beautiful blanket Helen! I love the colour, it feels so fresh... and just cute ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The yarn is just lovely to use, so soft as well as fun to see the color changing as you work :) Have a great week, Helen

      Delete
  3. Lovely blanket! The colours are really lovely and the stripes came out perfectly - don't you just love it when that happens?! :) Elisabeth x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elisabeth! Yes I totally love multi colored yarn, I was also really happy when I finished the last row of the last ball & had about 13" of yarn left! Doesn't take much to make me happy does it? ;-) Have a great week, Helen x

      Delete
  4. Such a beautiful blanket, love the colours and especially how you made the tag, that is brilliant. Lots of lovely colours for the next blanket...can't wait to see ^_^
    xox

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!