Wednesday, 24 April 2013

Mothers Day Stitching

Hello there!
How is your week going? Firstly, (before I forget) the pdf for the crochet bag is now available to download on my tutorials page for those of you who would like to give it whirl.
This week has been so windy here with lots of April showers, but in between them I have managed to get some laundry dry outside :-) There is something so satisfying in seeing washing flapping madly on the line & the smell when you bring the dry armfuls in just can't be beat! :-) In addition to the regular loads I have been having a bit of spring clean; all the blankets & the Winnie the Pooh quilt have had their turn blowing outside, & I am working my way through my fabric stash. The majority of this has been inherited either from my mom's dressmaking & soft furnishing projects in the '60's, 70's, & 80's or from the elderly parent of a friend some years ago (some of that fabric still has the little brown paper label from the store tacked on it detailing how many yards for how many shillings & pence!). For many years it all sat in a big open topped movers box in the loft defying my lame attempts to impose some kind of order upon it, but no longer! Last summer I sorted it into boxes by color & I have found that has made it much easier to find something suitable when I have been working on a project. This time around, in addition to washing & ironing it all, I am separating out the cotton fabrics suitable for patchwork & quilting from the heavier fabrics & putting all the smallest pieces into a scraps box. My iron has never been so busy!!
Up until recently there really hasn't been much cross stitch going on round here to report on. My plan at the start of the year to spend a day on a UFO project & a day on Christmas stitching kinda fizzled out mid February. I didn't start another Christmas stitch after finishing The Snowman & I hadn't made much progress on Ladybird Fairy either. I have also had a Somebunny hanging around for months (intended to become a matching cushion for Hubbie for Valentine's & then for our anniversary in March). The one exception to this was the project I am going to share with you today.
One day in early March I fell in love with a beautiful kit online. A little more searching found me a UK supplier who stocked it as a chart (now my stash has grown I tend to prefer this option), but either way I don't really need to be buying more cross stitch to do - I will put my hands up to being SABLE stitcher! (Stash Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy). Luckily this was a few weeks before Mother's Day here in the UK & I know sometimes my kids are a bit stuck on what to get me so I suggested to Hubbie that he ask eldest son if he already had it covered or if he would like a link to a surefire hit. I didn't ask about his answer but was very happy when I received the chart (plus some chocolates) from him on Mother's Day!
It is a design by Ursula Michael called Let's Sew and I had thought it might be nice to stitch it with some variegated floss I have in my stash instead of the plain dark blue it is charted with, but when I sat with my floss box & the chart the idea grew. It looked as though it would be pretty easy to split the chart into four sections & use different colors of variegated threads on each, the resulting rainbow would be representative of my love of color in my work. Now I had made a rule about not starting anything new until I finished something but that went right out the window & I started stitching it that afternoon ;-) So much of this design is backstitch that it proved surprisingly addictive & quick to complete - I put the last stitches into it on the Tuesday night...

I think I have mentioned before that in September my two young folks are planning to head off to uni, well when this happens I have my eye on my son's room for a sewing room. He currently has the biggest bedroom in the house (a leftover from when he shared it with his older brother) with a nice big window which lets in plenty of natural light. I thought this would be a perfect design to hang on the wall in my new sewing room :-) Rather than put it in a frame behind glass it seemed natural to frame it with fabric & make it into a wall hanging and i had just the fabric for it. For Christmas I received this lovely fat quarter bundle that has been waiting for just the right project......
I sat with some colored pencils & squared paper & played around until I had a design that I liked. Then I cut the fabric, sewed my colorful rainbow together, & joined it onto my stitching. I made hanging loops, used a large rectangle of fabric to back it all with, and gave it a press.
I decided it needed a few finishing touches. I looked through my lovely wooden buttons & found four that seemed made for this project & also chose a little silver scissor charm which I stitched onto the evenweave...
All I needed now was something to hang it from. After looking at a few different options I decided to stick to something simple & in keeping with the sewing theme. Hubbie cut me a length of plain wooden dowelling & I hunted out two almost empty wooden cotton reels in my big tin of sewing cottons. I wound the remaining cotton onto spare plastic reels & Hubbie attached the now empty wooden ones to the ends of the dowelling like so...
For the remaining months until my boy leaves for the big city we have hung it in the front room next to my chair where I spend so much time with either a needle or hook in my hand...

Thank you for visiting here today, I hope the rest of your week is filled with all of your favorite things :-)

8 comments:

  1. Helen that is so beautiful! I love the colours! Amazing ^_^
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph :-) Have a great week xox

      Delete
  2. Great work Helen! I think your idea of using vari thread was perfect, the resul is lovely!!! The finish is great too, the fabric matches the stitching colours, well done x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment ;-) Hope you have a lovely week,
      Helen x

      Delete
  3. I love your idea to change the colors. Your wall hanging is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary-Grace! I must pop over to your blog & catch up on your stitchy progress... have a great week!
      Helen x

      Delete
  4. What a fantastic finish...love the colour threads you used and the fabric matches perfectly! Enjoy your new sewing room (when you eventually get it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhona! I'm not really looking forward to them leaving (I'm sure you know how that goes!) but having space to sew in will be a silver lining. Have a great week, Helen

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!