Wednesday, 10 April 2013

Wednesday already????

Hello hello!
How is your week going? I can't believe it is Wednesday already!!! I had good intentions of trying to catch up a bit with everything this week but so far it isn't really working out that way... One job I have been meaning to do for many months was to redo my tutorials page on here. After I lost every photo on here last fall & had to add them back one by one to every post I decided I wanted to change my tutorials page instead of just putting it back the way it had been. This week my wonderful Hubbie spent part of his evening doing what I had been putting off for months!!! Please go & check it out & let me know what you think????  I have a few more ideas for small changes on here so watch this space!
Today I want to catch you up with the cards I made for our special days in February & March. After January's feast of birthdays and hectic goings on February brings some calm to our year. I had just five birthdays to make a card for in this month, plus St. Valentines Day & an anniversary. I began with some materials from the Midnight Fairytale range by Papermania to make this card for one of my young nieces...
Then I cut up some papers from my stash and added ribbon and peeloffs to make this card for her dad's birthday which is a few days later...
On one of my Pazzle mornings I found this template & used it to cut these smileys out of metallic papers...
A stripey coordinating paper, silver peeloffs, and a few candis finished off this card for my almost teenage nephew. I think this works pretty well for an older boy so might use this template again in the future for some of those rapidly growing up boys in the family...
Next came St. Valentines Day and I decided to try using some of those perle cottons I talked about here. I knew the kind of design I was looking for & once again the internet did not let me down! I found some lovely heart designs here, printed one out & traced it onto some thin white muslin fabric using a washable fabric marker. I used stem stitch, back stitch, & some little pink beads & it worked up pretty quickly. After a wash & a press I mounted it on a rectangle of patterned paper from my stash & then on a red card with hearts punched in the corners. Some pink heart peeloffs down each side finished it off...
I discovered the perle cotton is much too thick for this muslin, (which is why you can see a shadow around most of it) but otherwise really enjoyed embroidering the heart. I will definitely need to play with this some more on different weight fabrics :-)
For the anniversary card I needed a few days later I decided to stick to more familiar territory & used Tatty Teddy die cut chipboard toppers with coordinating papers. I used the little corner hearts punch again & cream ribbon with red hearts to finish the card off.
Right at the end of February we have two birthdays that need cards. The first one is very similar to the one I made for my brother-in-law at the start of the month as it is for another male of the same age (they can be tricky to nail a card for can't they?). I used papers from the same range but with more of a lean towards a travel theme, gave the brown card a deckled edge like a postage stamp, & omitted the ribbon to create this...
For our last February birthday I used a navy card blank, a sheet of vellum & laser peeloffs from the Midnight Fairytale range by Papermania to create this card for another of my nieces...
The lighter rectangle in the middle is cut out like a window pane which really shows off the translucent nature of the vellum, again this range is much more effective & sparkly in the flesh than I can capture with the camera! (Not for the want of trying...)
I was busy making Easter cards by the time March came around, but once they were completed I realised that March is another month that puts the brakes on a bit & slows down the card making pace. Along with Mother's Day here in the UK and our wedding anniversary we have just one birthday requiring a card. I had been enjoying playing with these pretty floral papers (free with a card making magazine) for Easter cards & used some of them to make this girlie card for one of my daughters' friends...

I used more papers & chipboard toppers from the same kit along with three white resin roses from another magazine on this years' Mothers Day card. I used a pearlescent cream card blank & lilac gingham card to mount everything on & finished it off with a little wooden butterfly button & three tiny gems in the bottom right hand corner...

I must've been on a real wooden butterfly fix at the time - honestly these were made on different days & I hadn't noticed until just now that I used another one on the anniversary card I made Hubbie! Some of you will know I usually stitch him Somebunny to Love gifts or cards (we have a whole wall of Bunnies upstairs that I really must photograph & share with you one day!) but just before our anniversary I saw a Somebunny stamp set on the front of one of the cardmaking magazines! Thank you! I stamped the girl bunny on some plain white card & colored her in with Promarkers. The green paper at the back is a lovely shimmery perlescent paper but it really hasn't come out well in photos (we have been having a few issues with the camera but Hubbie is on the case...) 

At short notice I had one last card to make in March. Another piece of the puzzle fell into place for my daughter's future, she heard back from the universities she had applied to & was able to provisionally accept a place at Aberdeen. For this course she has already exceeded the piano requirement so decided to stop her weekly piano lessons & free up a little bit more time for school work. Her piano teacher is a lovely lady who has helped & encouraged her so much over the eighteen months she has been teaching her so she needed a special card to go with a wee thank you gift. I used Tatty teddy chipboard diecuts with coordinating paper and added some sparkly organza ribbon from my stash to one side...      


Well that completes my card catch up, next time I hope to bring you up to speed on some of the sewing that has been occupying me lately. Thank you for visiting here today, and especially for those of you who take the time to leave me a comment - I really appreciate it! I hope you have a lovely rest of your week :-)

4 comments:

  1. That is a lot of very beautiful cards! Love the Midnight Fairytale ones. Beautiful post ^_^
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph, they are a pain to photograph but the fairytale ones are my favorites to make too ;) hope your week is going great, Helen xox

      Delete
  2. Wow....you've been very busy! Love your cards, they're gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhona! Must pop on over to your blog to see what you've been up to too :)

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!