Monday, 28 October 2013

Feeling like Fall

Hello there!
Nature's colors are so spectacular at this time of year, rich reds and oranges, earthy coppers and browns, and greens in every imaginable shade. I just can't get enough of them! When we are blessed with a blue sky day and that gorgeous amber sunlight which marks autumn apart shines through everything I don't think there can be many more beautiful sights.This year I decided I wanted to try & capture some of this to enjoy indoors on those other grey, wet, & miserable days we get here in the north. I started off by making an autumnal wreath. I pulled the Easter decorations off the twiggy wreath base so I could reuse it, covered it with conkers, cinnamon sticks & ribbons, & some large brightly colored artificial flowers I found in a local shop...
Next I gathered some empty glass jars & tissue paper to try out an idea I saw on Pintrest. Using PVA glue I covered the jars with either orange or white tissue paper & left them to dry. The next day Hubbie resized some free Halloween faces I found here & printed them out for me, I cut them out & stuck them on the jars like so...
 I dropped a tealight inside each one & they make pretty effective lanterns when it's dark!
I picked out three seasonal cross stitch patterns to stitch up and finish as little pillows. The first one I found here, I added three little leaf charms to it once it was made up...
 The other two are designs from the Just Cross Stitch Halloween magazine for this year. To this one I added some black & purple beads around the edges...
 ... and to this one a little silver witches hat charm. Can you see the little pumpkin dangling from the hat? How cute! :-)
You might have noticed the Halloween amis have made an appearance too ;-) Hubbie & I have been collecting conkers, acorns, & beech nuts with their cases on our walks with the dog so now the top of the piano looks like this...


Along with the gorgeous little Halloween felties Lori sent me last year and the Halloween cushion I made last year it is really feeling like Fall in our house!
Thank you for visiting with me today, I hope to be back with another stitchy post in a few days...


7 comments:

  1. Adorable! I love the whole look of everything, I had been gathering conkers, but that was to keep out spiders, or so I heard..lol..also was trying to collect up acorns with their hats, I was thinking of cards, but imagine that would be way too bulky...looks great having them lie around like you did, and I love the idea of the jars...brilliant as always! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy :-) oh I didn't know conkers kept spiders away, do you have to do something special to them or place them strategically? Have to keep them away from Freyja & the cats of course ;-) I love all the nuts around this time of year, I think most would be too bulky for cards (postage being what it is these days) but there are some lovely little charms you can get on ebay etc. which might work well? Happy Halloween :-) xox

      Delete
  2. I love the jars!!! This is sooo clever & looks fabulous :) You are all ready for the big day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mii! Happy Halloween :-)

      Delete
  3. Wow, everything is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally! Happy Halloween :-)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful post Helen ^_^ I love the jars, they looks so effective.
    XOX

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!