Wednesday, 12 March 2014

Spring has Sprung!

Hello there!
This week it feels as thought Spring has really arrived here in the north of Scotland. Today has been a glorious day; the sky has been a crisp, cloudless blue the entire day (which really doesn't happen here all that often!). On my morning walk with the dog there was frost everywhere the sun had yet to reach & the Ben had a pure white cap of snow - just beautiful! During the morning the cats joined the crocuses enjoying the sunshine in the garden, this year the crocus blooms seem HUGE compared to previous years'...
...except for these little creamy yellow ones which are rather sweet...
Today they all looked as though they were glowing in the sun! 
 The snowdrops down by the greenhouse looked rather happy in the sun... 
 ...and the Hellebores are also blooming now...
 They are so beautifully detailed inside, I just wish they would hold their heads up by themselves!
This morning I started the washing/drying/ironing of the fabric I bought at the Quilt Show in Edinburgh at the start of our holiday. While it dried on the line in the breeze I decided to make a start on a little bit of weeding. It was lovely to feel the warmth of the sun on my back while I worked! What a huge change in weather from the snowflakes & hail we had just five days ago! 
The day we visited the Quilt Show was cold, grey, & wet but none of that mattered as we were going to be occupied inside all day. It was my first time at one of these shows but I think it's highly unlikely to be my last! Oh boy what an experience! As soon as we got inside the door there were beautiful quilts on display...
 




This was one of my favorites...
 
These four are seasonal variations on a theme which I could have stayed in front of for hours looking at all the little differences! They also demonstrate just what a difference color choice makes in the overall appearance of a quilt... 

Spring... 
Summer...
Autumn...
and Winter. 
Then there were all the stalls tempting you with fabric, patterns, notions, buttons, ribbons..... and a lot of them had special offers on for the duration of the show. I tried to be good (I really did!) but I ended up throughly spoilt with new fabrics for several quilts I have on the "must make" pile, along with a few other goodies that jumped in while I wasn't looking ;-) I'm sure you know how that goes! So would you like to see my whole ironing board full of new fabric?? 
WOW! I don't think I have ever purchased so much fabric in one day! Some pieces are whole metres, some halves, and a whole bunch are fat quarters (mainly down to the Seattle Quilt Company stall having a deal on 12 fat quarters for £10 - I mean HOW is a girl supposed to say no to that???!!!!). I was "good" in as much as 99% of everything I bought I know exactly what it is going to be used for. For example these fabrics are going into a scrappy Autumn quilt which will be the next top I piece (once I quilt the two finished tops I currently have sitting patiently waiting on me)...
These fabrics are going to join my red white & blues that I'm collecting for a patriotic quilt at some point (maybe even this year!)...

It was a day that overloaded your senses with so much to admire & choose from, needless to say I won't be going anywhere near a fabric shop for a long time!! I feel so lucky to have a hubbie who is happy to go to along with me on a day like this, take photos, offer an opinion on prospective purchases, and carry the bags! After the show we met up with our younger son (who is studying at Edinburgh University) for pizza & a dvd - the perfect end to a lovely day :-) 
In my next post I will share some pics of where we headed to the following morning. Thank you for visiting with me today; I hope spring has reached your corner of the world too, but if it hasn't quite made it yet I promise it is on it's way!!   






10 comments:

  1. A girl can never have enough fabric!!! 12 FQ for £10???? Seriously??? I wish I was there, I would have seriously stock up :) Enjoy them all & this fabulous we're having

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right???!!!! They hold these events all over the county Mii o maybe there's one near you? I will do my best to have fun with them ;-) Have a lovely weekend,
      Helen

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous collection of fabric...and I agree with you, you just HAD to buy it all! ;) What an amazing difference the fabric choices made with those quilts, I'm so glad you shared the pics, they are lovely to see.
    Loving your spring flowers. Hope the good weather lasts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhona! I am trying to post different pics on here to on my facebook so if you want to see some others come on over! Typical Scottish weather resumed this morning ;-) Have a lovely weekend,
      Helen

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful quilts and fabrics!
    I'm just starting with quilting but I think it's really a fascinating hobby.
    Hours go by while I'm quilting, and today I think I'll need to put the alarm clock on to make lunch!
    I wish you a happy sunday, here in the northern mountains of Italy the sun is shining too - spring seems so close!
    Roberta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roberta! Glad you are enjoying your new hobby, quilting can transport you to another world can't it? Hope your weather has stayed sunny, ours has reverted to rain & wind but at least that gives me a good excuse to stay in & sew ;-) Have a lovely week,
      Helen

      Delete
  4. About quilting, yes - you are right, it seems impossible that you can create such a beautiful images only with small pieces of fabric!
    Unfortunately weather has turned to rain here, too: started on Thursday and didn't stop yet! Good idea to stay at home and sew!
    Have a lovely week you too!
    Roberta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all those little pieces of fabric the possibilities are endless :-) Have fun playing with them!
      Helen

      Delete
  5. I love this post! What a fantabulous haul of fabric ^_^ XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph ^_^ I'm so spoilt aren't I?! Lots of fun ahead heehee! XOX

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!