Thursday, 10 April 2014

Springtime projects part one...

Hello there!
Today I have a few springtime projects to share with you. Spending a week further south in the Lake District at the beginning of March combined with the increased daylight hours really gave me a strong sense of the turning seasons. So although when we arrived home it was not especially springlike up here yet, I came with a burning desire to crochet daffodils. As you do ;-) There are a variety of free patterns available online but I chose this one from Lucy at Attic 24. It's a lovely pattern, not too fiddly, & I used cotton yarns to work these up as I like the stitch definition you get with them as opposed to fluffier acrylic or woollen yarns.
 Once I had a couple of them I decided that I would go ahead and make a crocheted spring wreath, I've seen a lot of different ones around online & have often thought it would be fun to make my own. Last time I made a crocheted wreath I simply wrapped the polystyrene ring in yarn, but this time around I wanted to crochet a cover so I abandoned making flowers for a few days & set to working on that instead. I based mine on the instructions here but decided against the stripes in the end, I used just two colors in my cover (and discovered when sewing it up how much easier that step would have been if I'd kept the stripes! You live and learn...)    
In addition to the daffodils I made some of these flowers and some of these flowers which both have buttons in the centers, some quince flowers (pattern here), and some leaves to go with the daffodils (pattern with the daffodil pattern). I borrowed Lucy's idea in this post of pinning everything in place instead of sewing it - it worked a treat! I could play with the positioning to my hearts' content and then I was done! (I used two pins in each daffodil so they are really secure.) So here's my finished wreath...
What do you think?
It really brightens up the hall and I'm thinking I will make some summer flowers to replace these for a summer wreath a little later in the year...
Issue 214 of WOCS magazine had a really cute lamb alphabet in which was absolutely perfect for my mother's day card this year (my mothers' initial is M & she likes sheep)...

I also came across a couple of cute embroidery projects online last month which I had to make. Firstly this cute design (available here) which I stitched up for my daughter to hang on her wall...
...and secondly these little treat bags (free pattern and instructions here) which I will be filling with chocolate eggs for two of my nieces for Easter...
I really enjoyed stitching these projects and am hoping to do some more embroidery in the not too distant future :-) Oh and Amy added two more free designs to go with the wee brown bunnies which you can find here - thank you Amy!
I hope you enjoyed visiting here today, I'll be back soon to share some more Springtime projects with you :-)



8 comments:

  1. Wow how many projects done!
    The mother's day card is really sweet, I like the brightness of the green you used!
    Many compliments for the crocheted wreath, so colorful, and the bunnies are very funny...
    well plenty of ideas today and thank you for the links to the free patterns!
    have a nice week-end!
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rose :-) I just love how the internet links our crafting community & enables us to share so many neat ideas! Hope you have a lovely creative weekend too,
      Helen

      Delete
  2. I love love love your wreath!! Absolutely awesome! The sheep card is so lovely. You know I love the wee gift bags, so lovely. And I really love the bunnies!! Very cool ^_^ XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph! The wreath didn't take nearly as long as I'd anticipated & I really had fun with it :-) I think there will be more gift bags to come as they were fun too... E is just amazed the peeps got done inside of two weeks of me showing them to her (she's used to waiting months if not years for me to actually finish stuff for her lol) XOX

      Delete
  3. I love the wreath. It makes me feel like Spring.
    Hanging with my peeps is adorable too! You have been so busy. It must feel great to have so many completed projects.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! It makes a nice change to have a few quick-to-complete projects :-) Hope you get some lovely Spring weather this week,
      Helen

      Delete
  4. Wow so many lovely finishes!!! I love your wreath, it's stunning!!! Fantastic work... it would look lovely in my home too :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mii! I had a lot of fun making the wreath :-) Have a lovely week,
      Helen x

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!