Friday, 16 May 2014

From my sewing room

Hello there!
Today I want to share some recent sewing projects with you. First up is a little wallhanging I designed to hang in the kitchen. My aim is to have different seasonal wallhangings to display in the space above our table, last year I made a Halloween one...
& a Christmas one... 
...& I have been toying with the idea of a Spring one for some months now. I picked up some fabric printed with daffodils & narcissi in the January sales but spent a long time trying to decide exactly how to incorporate it into a design. In the end I cut out a lot of elements I had been considering & kept it fairly simple. I knew it HAD to have bunnies...
I added buttons & white pom poms for the bunnies tails & hand appliqued the word "Spring" across the top...
I'm rather happy with how it turned out, even if it is nearly summer time now! 
As some of you may know I have a bit of a "thing" for owls. This stretches back to my childhood & so now they are so trendy it makes me smile to see them everywhere. I have been wanting to make myself a fabric owl for quite a while but it was one of those things that kept getting bumped down the list. You know how that goes don't you? When we went to the Quilt Show in Edinburgh in February I saw some lovely fabric owls & I decided I really must make one soon - does May count as soon?! I had the basic pattern I wanted to use from a supplement with a Fon's & Porter's quilt magazine from last fall, but, as is my wont, I changed a few things... The pattern called for the whole owl to be made from felt, but I don't really like working with felt that much so I picked some pretty cotton for her body, wings, and inner eye circles. I loved how there was a useful pocket on the front but hubbie pointed out it wasn't the best shape for keeping scissors in and suggested making the wings into pockets as well. It took a bit of thinking (especially as the wings were already cut out!) but I love how they turned out! Would you like to meet her? Here she is next to the supplement containing the pattern...
I called her Owlivia...
...and here she is sitting on top of my sewing machine with my tape measure in her front pocket, seam ripper in one wing, & scissors in the other...
She is such a helpful sewing buddy I'm starting to wonder how I managed without her!
Just before I go here's a sneak peak at a new blanket I am working on for my grandson's birthday...
Yes, I have been taking advantage of pretty much any sunshine we get to go sit outside & hook up another round on this. Little ones' birthday is in just under two weeks time so I'd better get on with it! 
Thank you for visiting me here today, I hope you have a lovely weekend whatever you're up to!






6 comments:

  1. Oooh Helen, your little wallhangings are just perfect! What a nice idea to have one for each season :) Can't wait to see Summer but I must admit, like you, I have a thing for owls so of course you Halloween one is my favourite :P I love Owlivia too, she is just perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mii! Thanks so much for your sweet comments :-) Not sure if I will get a summer one done this year, so much on right now! Hope you're having a lovely bank holiday weekend?
      Helen x

      Delete
  2. I love you wall hangings. It's such a lovely idea. The Spring one is perfect! That really is a beautiful fabric. I love it. Owlivia is awesome! I love that she is a sewing companion, so clever. I hope you get lots more sunny days for your crochet..if not! Well, crafting is pretty good done in all weathers ^_^ XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph! I have loads of that fabric left... on with the thinking cap! Crafting is the perfect all weather hobby isn't it? ;-) XOX

      Delete
  3. How many lovely things! Your Owlivia has really hypnotic eyes...
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose! Thank you for your sweet comments :-) I couldn't begin to guess how many years those buttons have sat in the button tin I inherited from my grandmother! But they seemed perfect for Owlivia - further proof that my hoarding is the correct tactic ;-) Hope you are having a lovely week,
      Helen

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!