Friday, 13 June 2014

A very special someone ;-)

Hello there!
Today I would like to I introduce you to a very special someone - Porkie Pig...
He may not be the cutest pig in the world, and his neck is very floppy these days, but he is irreplaceable to me. As you can see he has been with me for quite a while...
One of my great aunts knitted him for me & I have no idea exactly when he came to live with me, just as far back as I can remember he has always been around. One of my younger cousins also has fond memories of Porkie - so much so that we looked him out in the loft on one of her recent visits & introduced him to her daughter ;-) Although our great aunt knitted other things for my cousins I was the only one to get a Porkie, despite requests!
So why am I telling you this now? Well a little while ago while browsing knitting patterns on ebay what did I see? Right there in the middle of my screen was Porkie!!!! My Porkie!!! Someone was selling the original pattern cut from the 1970's magazine, so of course I had to buy it (total no brainer right?!). Then I messaged my cousin to tell her that I will try to follow this old pattern as best I can to make her her own Porkie. Finally. She sounded rather happy ;-)
First off I went back into the loft to retrieve Porkie & then he accompanied me on a couple of shopping trips to find the right colors of yarn (I think it's important to make the new one match my old one as closely as possible). Once I had my four colors it was time to make a start...
So far I have a body with legs & arms... 
two little trotters...
and have started on his head...
Once again I'm reminded that knitted toy patterns like this that are made up of flat pieces really are very different to work up from the crocheted amigurumi I am used to making! Maybe one day I will get used to this, but for now I still overwhelmingly prefer the amis which work up in the round. You can see the shape appearing as you work, you can see when you're on track & what you have at the end of the night, and at the end of it all there is far less seaming to do! Right now I have three knitted pieces which apparently form his head, but at the moment resemble nothing except three oddly shaped bits of knitting... I am not convinced! If you make knitted or crocheted toys which method do you prefer? Working in the round or in the flat? I would love to hear your thoughts!
Well for this weekend I am hoping to get a bit more of this pig together, I hope you have a lovely time whatever you are up to :-)







8 comments:

  1. This is such a nice post. Fancy finding the original instructions! I can't wait to see the new porkie :) It's looking rather good already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Mii! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them! I must pop over to see what you've been up to recently...
      Helen

      Delete
  2. Incredible! You found the original pattern after 40 years... of course you had to have it!
    About knitted toys I actually work in the flat because I'm not that good in working in the round... but I think the round is the best way: the finish looks much better...
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, thanks for your comment! I think working in the round in knitting is a lot more complicated, maybe this is why I find more toys made from flat knitted pieces than worked in the round? Hope you are having a lovely week,
      Helen

      Delete
  3. Aw he's cute! Of course you had to have the pattern :-)

    I like in the round for crochet and flat for knitting, I've never quiet got comfortable with knitting in the round!
    Lori xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Lori ;-) I guess variety is the spice of life?! Maybe one day I will feel as comfortable with these knitted toys as with the crocheted amis... Hope you have a lovely week,
      Helen xx

      Delete
  4. I think Porkie is gorgeous! It's a toughie....recent experience makes me long for only ever having to crochet a toy again! lol But no doubt I'll forget that in a day or two and not mind either or ^_^ I look forward to seeing new Porkie all made up XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Steph! LOL! Have a little break from it & you'll be back to the knitting in a week or so I bet ;-) Enjoy your week sweetie XOX

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!