Wednesday, 4 June 2014

Birthday goodies!

Hello there!
How's your week going?? It has been a very busy few weeks here!
This is Jerry Giraffe who I made from a free pattern found here
for my grandson's birthday. Did you know giraffes like climbing trees? 
Well this one does! He's an adventurous sort, which is just as well as he has been accompanying Little H on his travels since he met his new pal last week. He even came back to Gran & Grampa's house for tea the other night! I can't quite believe how quickly time has flown since Little H was born - he's the first one to tell us he's not a baby, he's a big boy now! His daddy has introduced him to some favorite characters from his childhood & it really came as no surprise to us that Spiderman & Batman seem to be topping the chart right now. There are plans afoot to make him a superheroes bedroom over the summer so when I came across this blanket pattern I went straight out for the yarn & got cracking! I finished it five days before Little H's birthday :-)
This pattern has been around on the web (sorry couldn't resist ;-)) for a while now, in fact over 700 folks have posted their versions on Ravelry alone! It was whilst browsing these that I came across the pattern for adding Spidey's face to the middle (you can find it here if you want to make your own). I was pretty pleased with how it came out...

Here's the blanket all spread out - it's roughly 56" from point to point so it should keep a little boy warm as he grows for quite a while!
The week of Little H's birthday also contains three other birthdays that we celebrate (why do birthdays come in bunches like that?!). One of them is my good friend Lori over at Hippywitch Crafts and I decided to make her a little needlebook. I used Amy's pattern from here but decided to embroider both the front & back with motives I saw on Pinterest (free patterns here.) 
Here's a close up of the front...
The colors haven't come out very well in these photos & by the time I realised this it was already in the mail! The back cover is a lilac polka dot fabric so I used a lilac & a red felt to make the leaves inside...
Since making my owl needlebook last year I had forgotten just how much fun these are to make! I think I need to make a few more over the summer for some other folks, after all a girl can never have too many needlebooks can she? :-)
Thank you for visiting me here today, I hope you are having a happy, creative week and I will be back soon to share some other projects with you!





7 comments:

  1. Helen this is a great post! I'm falling in love with Jerry Giraffe!!! So so so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mii! As soon as I saw him he seemed like the perfect companion for my grandson, but it was a fun & quick pattern to work up so I think I might be making some more giraffes ;-) Have a great week,
      Helen

      Delete
  2. I agree with Mii, the giraffe is sooooo cute! But the blanket is very nice too!
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rose! They were both fun to work on & have proved a hit with a certain little boy. I just love how generous our online crafty community is - clever folks sharing their patterns so freely for the rest of us to try :-) Have a lovely week,
      Helen

      Delete
    2. I agree... in this world where everything is money money money, it is really encouraging to meet someone who shares freely with others...
      Have a lovely week you too!
      R

      Delete
  3. Well, you know how much I love all of this already! but I'll tell ya again ^_^ I am still ohhhhing over the spidey blanket! Pure awesomeness! ^_^ XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you! *blushing madly now* You already know how much fun those star shaped blankets are to work up, I've seen some of your lovely ones! Have a lovely week sweetie ^_^ XOX

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!