Thursday, 3 July 2014

A little round up

Hello there!
Today I thought I share with you a bunch of projects that I have been working on recently. Although I have really cut down on the number of handmade cards I make & send this year I haven't stopped completely! Here is one that I made for my cousins' daughter who graduated high school in Hawaii this summer. This young lady has a very bright future ahead of her I think so this seemed rather apt...
I used my Pazzle to cut out the letters and a fine black marker to do the mock stitching around each one. The wooden butterfly buttons have been in my stash for a while now, I really love them!
The next card was requested by my daughter for one of her good friends. Some of you will recognise it as closely resembling the front of the book "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green. My daughter & some of her friends are pretty much addicted to anything he writes & have eagerly been anticipating the release of the film version of this book so this went down a storm!
At the beginning of June I finally had my first GON block in treatment of my migraines (I'm not going to go into details here but you can Google "GON block" if more details would be of interest to you). It hasn't got rid of all my headaches but it has certainly cut down the frequency of them which has been wonderful! I actually felt well enough to pick up some cross stitch again for the first time in ages and, as Hubbie's birthday is in the middle of June, I decided to stitch him a Somebunny to Love card. This little design was a free cover kit on one of the stitchy mags earlier in the year & as soon as I saw it I knew what I wanted to do with it but I had pretty much given up hope of realising it this year. Well thanks to the GON block I got it finished with a few days to spare... 
The kit included the paper mount to fit the stitched part into & in my stash I found apricot card stock to mount this on & matching aqua card to stamp the greeting onto. The little ribbon across the bottom with love hearts on it is also from my stash. Isn't it great when you find have things that match perfectly already?! As this kit wasn't designed to be made into a card it was too wide to fit on any of the standard card sizes I had in my stash so I used a piece of thicker card in a buttery yellow to make it into an oversized card. One little note - if you have this cover kit in your stash there is a correction to the chart available here. Here's a close up of the stitched part (Somebunny's head)... 
Buoyed on by this finish I made a start on the baby sampler my cousin requested for a close friend. In view of my drastically reduced stitching time we had agreed on a simple design so I adapted this little bear is from a larger cushion design by Andree Langhorn and Angela Poole that appeared in Spring's issue of Cute Cross Stitch magazine. I stitched it on pale blue 14ct aida & added baby's details down one side... 
Now this is finished I am hoping to manage a few hours a week on Spring Fairy and Popcorn (which you can see here) before the effects of the block wear off completely...
I have also been very busy with projects of a yarny nature. Most of them will have to wait for another post but, as it's Independence Day tomorrow, it seemed more appropriate to share this one today... 


This is my latest seasonal wreath! The pattern can be found here. I wrapped the styrofoam ring in red, white, and blue cotton and the little flags and stars worked up really quickly. I couldn't find blue ribbon with gold stars anywhere closer than Hong Kong(!) so opted for some blue satin ribbon and stuck some little gold confetti stars on with glue dots. This was also the first project I used my new glue gun on (which Hubbie bought me for Christmas) and I am happy to report it wasn't nearly as scary or messy as I had feared! Watch this space, I will be using this again ;-)
Thank you for visiting me here today, I hope however you are spending the coming weekend it brings you much happiness!


4 comments:

  1. Fab post! Loads of good makes. I thought the stitching was real on that card! That's awesome. Glad you got to do some stitching. Love the Some bunny, yup! That is the one I have in my 'to-make' pile ^_^ Your wreath is awesome! Take care XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Steph! Heehee! ^_^ Nope I cheated with a pen lol so lovely to be able to do some cross stitch again :-) I think I have gained a wreath addiction to go with my blanket addiction ;-) Have a lovely week XOX

      Delete
  2. I love your cards! They all look fantastic.
    Your wreath made me smile. I have never gotten the hang of knitting or crocheting, so I think it makes me appreciate those who have the talent. Can't wait to see the rest of your yarny projects!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, thank you so much! Glad to spread the smiles :-) The only problem with knitting, crocheting etc. is that it leaves me much less time to cross stitch than I used to have back in the days before I rediscovered yarny crafts! Five years ago I would never have thought I would've been doing anything other than cross stitch - the encouragement of friends, you tube, & the library have a lot to answer for! ;-) Have a lovely stitchy week,
      Helen

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!