Wednesday, 21 January 2015

Sights from Edmonton, AB

Hello there!
Today I want to share some more photos from our trip at the end of last year with you, yes, here comes another photo heavy post!
So in our last instalment we had made it all the way north to Edmonton, Alberta, and the next week would be spent staying with a very dear aunt & uncle of mine. It was Canadian Thanksgiving weekend when we arrived so we started off with two big family gatherings & huge Thanksgiving meals - we thought we would never need to eat again! My Aunt is a fellow quilter & crocheter so I made her a little needlebook as a "thank you for having us" pressie...


The buttons really are cute aren't they? They come from here (but be warned they have a huge selection & if you are half as crazy for buttons as I am then you are going to end up making some hard choices ;-))
Apart from eating way too much good food over this week we managed to fit in a little sight seeing. We made the obligatory trip to West Edmonton Mall (largest shopping mall in North America and 10th largest in the world). It has changed a bit since I was a teenager but the pirate ship is still there...
...and also the water park I remember my cousins being so excited at opening...
Other than lunch we didn't actually spend anything! Apart from all the added attractions (Galaxyland, Sealife caverns, Ice palace etc.) it really felt like any other mall with the usual selection of stores.

On another day we took a drive out of the city to the area where my uncle used to live when I was a child. Not surprisingly, I found the neighborhoods very changed from back then! One of the houses he & my cousins lived in was this one...
It's called the Oppertshauser house and back in 1987 it was moved from the lot where it had been since 1910 to the site of the Multicultural Heritage Center. It is one of the few remaining buildings from the time of the town's beginnings & was built by Henry Oppertshauser who was one of the pioneer businessmen of  the area. The MHC have done the ground floor up as part old fashioned general store, part museum part gift store and use the upper floor as offices. They were very welcoming, happy to let us explore the whole building, and chatted to my uncle & I about our memories of the place. Upstairs we found the same lino on what was my cousins' bedroom floor where we played for hours, and on the end of the bannisters the same white paint which we grabbed & swung round as we tore down stairs to go hunt out some chocolate milk from the kitchen...
 If found it surreal to see the rooms where I spent some very happy times set out like this I can only imagine how my uncle found it! This used to be the living room...
After our visit we had to stop at Jack's Diner for the best blueberry milkshakes in town! This is a very neat 50's style diner...
So from old familiar places to one I have long wanted to visit - the Muttart Conservatory.
This would often be a place the "grown ups" visited while we were at school so I was determined to see inside those iconic pyramids now I qualify as a "grown up"! There are four glass pyramids here, three housing plants from temperate, tropical, and arid regions and the fourth being the Feature Pyramid whose displays change throughout the year. We started off in the Tropical Pyramid... 






Then wandered into the Arid Pyramid... 


(Yes, trust me to find some buttons!) and then into the Temperate Pyramid which contained lots of plants which grow in my own garden...


Round one corner we came across Gaia, reclining under the shrubs... 
 Finally we reached the fourth pyramid, happily discovering the current display was of orchids!!
From the more familiar types to very different looking ones....
...some that looked like insects...
...and some very tiny ones!
Some were growing in a more natural kind of way whereas some were definitely "on display"...

Including this spectacular peacock made of orchids & house leeks!
We really enjoyed our afternoon wandering around the pyramids, I hope you enjoyed this little look at some of the sights they contain! Wishing you a lovely week :-)


6 comments:

  1. What wonderful pictures....and what a fantastic trip you had!

    I LOVE those buttons - and I have to confess to clicking the link....guess I'll not be getting any housework done today;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhona, yes we had a brilliant time :-) They have some great buttons don't they? After all even in the dictionary"buttons" come before "housework" ;-) Have a great weekend!
      Helen

      Delete
  2. Another fabulous day!!! The dinner and pyramids would have been my favourites, especially with all these beautiful orchids :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mii it was a lovely week, we were really lucky to catch the orchid display I hadn't dared go see on their website what would be in there in case I liked previous or future displays more! We also visited a brilliant needlework store in Edmonton & I thought of you because they had lots of your kind of designs in there - of course I was so excited I forgot to take any photos! ;-) Have a lovely weekend, Helen x

      Delete
  3. Wow! More fabulous photos. I LOVE your needle books. XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph ^_^ Awww thank you *blushes* XOX

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!