Sunday, 11 January 2015

Socks & a snowman

Hello there!
Back in January 2014 when we planned our trip I thought having six weeks from when we returned till Christmas would be plenty of time but when it actually came to it it felt very rushed indeed! Between offspring returning for weekend visits from uni & the arrival of our new grandson (Baby C arrived the day we flew back!) everything felt very higgledy piggledy and all of a sudden it was down to mere days instead of weeks till Christmas! I didn't get much in the way of Christmas crafting done at all this time, making only a handful of cards & sending store bought to everyone else. I tried to keep things simple, here are a couple I stitched...


... and here is one I crocheted...

I made a few of these little snowflakes, crocheted with 4 ply yarn & blocked with spray starch. I then attached a  little red ribbon & hung them in some aperture cards from my stash. I used metallic paper (in this case blue) as an insert so I could still write inside the card. The snowflakes were easily detachable so if folks wanted to it could be removed  & used as a decoration in the future.
My pre- Christmas crafting was all about small, easy to complete projects but I must admit I got in a bit of a stew with the next one! It was my first venture into knitting socks so I picked a simple looking project from a library book (Baby Booties and Socks: 50 knits for tiny toes) and all was fine until I hit the heel... Google to the rescue! The toes also sent me heading back online for further help, I don't know if it was me or the pattern but I definitely felt the need for extra intsructions! However, once the first one was completed the second one wizzed along & by the time I sewed in the last end I was back to smiling when I looked down at them...

They are pretty cute aren't they?! Knitted for our new grandson, Baby C, I tied some pretty ribbon round them before wrapping them in Christmas paper...

The last project that I made as a present this year was for my daughter & I couldn't wait to see her face when she opened it! I spotted the kit in Walmart in the last few days of our trip & hubbie agreed we had to find a way to fit it in our already bulging luggage for her. I just hoped it would be as simple to put together as the instructions suggested... One afternoon I decided to give it a go & spread it out on my sewing room floor...
It is a No Sew Fleece Blanket (sporting a certain snowman from the film Frozen) and kits for these depicting everything from tractors to wildlife to Hello Kitty seemed to be everywhere in stores in the US. Along with the instructions there were two pieces of fleece fabric. I taped the backing fabric down to my floor right side down & then placed the front fabric on top of it (right side up) and smoothed it out...
Next, through both layers of fabric, I cut the corner squares out along the pre printed white lines...
Then I trimmed the outer border to 5"...
Using my fabric scissors I cut along the remaining white lines (which were marked 1" apart)...
Then I tied the top & bottom layers of this fringe together....
....first at the corners (so I could move it off the floor and go sit in a comfy seat to tie the rest) and then all the way around. A few hours later I had this...
One No-Sew Fleece Blanket! Yes, it really was as simple as that! (And it has been a big hit with my daughter who is somewhat Olaf obsessed ;-)) So if you have seen these kits in the stores and were wondering whether to give one a go (or if you have been pondering what to do with that cute fleece you bought a couple of yards of cos you just couldn't resist it! ;-)) I hope this encourages you to give a no-sew blanket a go!
Thank you for visiting here today, I hope to be back soon with another travel related post. Until then I wish you warm & happy days!









4 comments:

  1. OMG, love the socks... and Olaf!!! SOOOO cute xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mii! I had great fun making these, have a lovely week,
      Helen xx

      Delete
  2. Beautiful cards. Oh my gosh! those socks are so cute!Yes! I said that out loud as I typed in a very unnatural squeaky voice! ^_- I LOVE the Olaf blanket! XoX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HeeHee! ^_^ Thank you for your lovely comments :-) Yup E is kinda partial to her Olaf blanket, she lived under it while she was here lol ;-) XOX

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!