Tuesday, 31 March 2015

Socks appeal ;-)

Hello there!
This might not seem like a very seasonal post for the last day of March except that here in the North of Scotland it has been snowing on & off all day! A couple of weeks ago a friend showed me this video & I was totally smitten, I had already been thinking about trying my hand at making some sock creatures so this no sew snowman seemed like a good place to start. I found some cheap white sports socks at a local store & a few hours later this little fellow was born!
Cute huh?! It was one of those times where it really was as simple as the video suggested, the only thing that stopped me making more straight away was the amount of rice he took as stuffing! I am going to be experimenting with using a rice & regular toy stuffing combo but in the meantime I found some fluffy microfiber socks that would be perfect for a different sock animal. 
If you follow the Stitchydragon facebook page you will have seen these guys in a few different stages, here is the first little one...

complete with cute little fluffy tail! 
You can find the free tutorial for the lambs here along with tutorials for some other cute sock creatures, but be warned, making them can become addictive! On this little guy I embroidered the eyes instead of using buttons as he is going to go live with my grandson Little H who is not quite three years old. Then I decided my nieces needed Easter Lambs this year too...
As they are for older children I used buttons for eyes on these two, and here's the whole gang together...
If you want to give these a go I would suggest swapping out your regular sewing machine needle for a ball point needle, it will make sewing those stretchy socks so much easier. Of course you don't need a sewing machine, you can always sew them by hand if you prefer. I had a lot of fun making them & have requested a couple of books from the library on sock animals so you can expect to see some different creatures popping up on here at some point...
Well I hope you are having a lovely Easter week whatever you are up to, thank you for visiting me here today!








6 comments:

  1. SO cute :) think I will have to look into making some sock toys, love things that are fast and easy :) your lambs are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Summer :-) Oh definitely go for it, there are lots of ideas/ patterns out there if the regular sock monkey doesn't float your boat but be warned - you will never look at socks the same! ;-) Have a great week, Helen

      Delete
  2. The socks snowman is sooo cute!! I love it... and so clever too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mii! As white sport socks come in a large pack & it only takes one sock to make a snowman there could be an explosion of these little guys round here soon! ;-) Have a great week,
      Helen

      Delete
  3. I love your sock critters XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Steph ^_^ I got some new stripy socks the other day - such excitement!! Oh and my book came! XOX

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!