Thursday, 2 July 2015

#MandalasforMarinke

Hello,
Many of you will have heard the sad news this week, Marinke aka Wink from a creative being blog lost her fight with depression last Friday. I only found her blog a few months ago when her first book was published (available here) and was just beginning to fully realise the amazing creative spirit behind it. Her sister has written a beautiful tribute to her here & I can only imagine what her family & friends are going through right now. Kathryn Vercillo from the crochet concupiscence blog has set up a collaborative crochet art project designed to honor Wink’s life and work, celebrate her amazing creativity, and raise awareness about depression. You can find full details here, but the basic idea is for us to crochet one of Wink's mandala patterns & send it to Kathryn so here is my contribution...
I chose this pattern to represent sunshine, bursting through the dark skies of depression & bringing the blue skies back. That hope can be hard, if not impossible, to see on the blackest days. This might make little sense to those who have been lucky enough to not have first hand experience of depression but a while back I came across this short video which aims to explain what depression can be like. I believe anything which deepens understanding, raises awareness, & helps eliminate the stigma of depression is worth supporting and I am sure Kathryn will receive great support for her project from the whole crafting community. 






6 comments:

  1. Beautiful contribution (I'm so jealous of your crochet skills :P)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mii - see maybe I could help you crack it if you came up here on a road trip? Have a lovely weekend,
      Helen x

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing the project and for your special message here. Beautiful. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathryn, thank you so much for your comment, I really wasn't expecting you to visit my little blog! (I have been enjoying yours for quite a few years now.) I will get this off in the mail to you soon, I just need to have a think about what I want to say with it. Thank you for everything you do for our crafting community & for working to bring a rainbow out of this rain,
      Helen

      Delete
  3. Beautiful. Oceans of love to you. XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweetie, so are yours!! Much love & hugs back XOX

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!