Friday, 17 February 2017

New Starts

Hello there!
I hope your week is going well? February is speeding along and when we are out and about we are seeing lots of little green shoots heralding the approach of Spring. Although I am itching to start lots of new projects I am making a concerted effort to Be Good and for the most part am sticking to working on projects from The UFO List but there have been a few new starts which have snuck in there too. The first one is my finished New Year's Day New Start for 2017. A little kit by Mill Hill designed by Jim Shore called Snowy Owl Snowman (I also have the Evergreen Snowman kit upstairs waiting for me) he is about half and half cross stitch and beads and very sparkly as a result!



Beads in eleven different colors and two different sizes were inside the kit along with two different needles & there is no way I would've been able to get those petite seed beads on there without that thin-as-a-hair beading needle! Yes, the beads were pretty time consuming, but I am very pleased with the end result & he fitted in perfectly at the end of my January shelf...


I also couldn't resist stitching the little Bebunni free kit that came with The World of Cross Stitching magazine issue 251...


Isn't he a cutie?!! He came with a mount to make him into a card but I decided to make him into a little pillow instead...


...and he is currently sitting happily on my February shelf...


The last new start is somewhat bigger and more of a long term project. Last summer my daughter asked if I could make her a new crochet blanket to fit the bigger bed in her new accommodation. We started looking through patterns and finally settled on the Lacy Flower Granny Square pattern (which is available for free here). Then we needed to pick a color scheme. As she lives over a hundred miles away I decided it would be easier to use Pinterest, picking pins I thought she would like & sending them to her. Have you ever used Pinterest to search for color schemes? WOW! There are SO MANY GORGEOUS combinations out there!!! So much inspiration!! :-) In the end my daughter picked this one...


So I got out my yarn pegs and came up with this...


We wanted seven colors for squares in this blanket so on a recent visit home she added in Clematis from the Stylecraft Special DK range - full details on all the colors she picked are listed on my Ravelry project page here. It's been a while since I crocheted anything beyond basic squares & I had wondered how much concentration these pretty squares would take. Happily I have found the pattern is well written with lots of photos & I have most of it memorized now & am enjoying working these up. I don't know exactly how many I will need as I have a few ideas floating around in my head but I will need a pile of squares before I can start experimenting so for now I'm just making a bunch in all seven colors...


The colors are much nicer together in real life, but this will give you a rough idea (as usual my camera is refusing to represent accurately anything of a purple/lilac nature and I would rather crochet more squares than continue to fight with it!).   
Thank you for visiting me here today and a special thank you to those who take the time to leave a comment, it's lovely to hear from you! Have a great weekend whatever you are up to :-)





2 comments:

  1. Aww, that little bunny is so sweet!! It has to be my favourite!! You've finished it beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your January and February shelf is fantastic! Love how you finished the bebunni design....I've started doing the kit but hate the fabric that was provided with the kit....I might start again as yours looks so pretty. The colour combinations you have chosen for the blanket look scrummy, and the pattern is lovely too. Can't wait to see your progress with it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!