Wednesday, 5 April 2017

17 ufos in 2017 - March update

Hello there!
It's time for the March update on the 17 ufo's in 2017 project. Please follow the linky button at the bottom of Meredithe's post to go see everyone's progress!
Having been "good" in January and February and (for the most part) kept my focus firmly on the ufo's, March was a month where other projects took center stage. I really wasn't sure I was going to have much progress to share with you at all on The List! But much as I was enjoying some little spring stitches I also really wanted to get a finish on Spring Fairy while it was still Spring! So after restitching the vanishing bunnies I allowed myself two other small stitches and then went back to the Fairy. (I will share these little stitches with you next post). It was worth it because..... finally I have a finish!!!! The colors aren't showing up well this morning but would you like to see??


Apart from the week of backstitch (!) I have enjoyed stitching her & the backstitch is worth it because it brings all the little details to life. The little snails and ladybirds...


...her face, and the little bunnies & birds...


The design is by Joan Elliott and I stitched her on 28 ct cream evenweave with the listed DMC and Kreinik colours. I made one change when it came to adding the beads and used some raspberry beads from my stash for the details on her wings and the swirls. I don't know if this was my plan to begin with? (One of the disadvantages of having a project hanging around 3 years!) But the charted beads were the pearly white ones also in her hair & skirt & there was no way they would show up against my choice of fabric in those swirls. So she has three colors of beads instead of just two and I'm going with "this was an intentional design element" rather than pure luck as the raspberry beads were in the bag with the other two colors! ;-) Anyways, she is finished - happy dance!!!!! She took a bath this morning & I will leave her to dry for three or four days to make sure she's totally dry inside all those beads before I frame her.
So for April I'm getting out my oldest UFO and number 12 on The List - The Wave designed by Jim Warren. This is where it had been left...


I can't even remember the last time I worked on this, but I don't think it has been out in the last couple years as I tend to want to pick it up in the summer & the last few years I have been busy stitching wedding samplers in June & July! I will keep you posted as to how I get on... 
Wishing you a happy and creative week what ever you are up to!



8 comments:

  1. Wow, the fairy looks gorgeous!!! What a beautiful finish :)
    I have actually stitched and framed The Wave a few years ago. This was a gift for my SIL as she is horse crazy. I believe it is up on her wall in display :) I hope you thoroughly enjoyed working on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ingrid!! I am so happy to have her done :-) I started The Wave back in 2011 and I have no idea why, but I have never really "gotten into it" and enjoyed it? I love the picture and it's not particularly complicated so I don't know what the problem has been but I'm hoping that this time around I can get into that stitchy groove... keep your fingers crossed for me?! Have a lovely week,
      Helen

      Delete
  2. The fairy piece is stunning! Well done for finishing her. I bought this kit for my daughter when she started stitching, but she didn't get much done and decided that she preferred to crochet. After seeing your finished piece, I might go and pinch it from her (no point in it sitting unfinished is there?!!!) :) The wave is another gorgeous design....hope you can get back into stitching it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhona! Oh yes you should definitely go and liberate the fairy & stitch her, she really doesn't take 3 years to do! ;-) I still haven't picked up The Wave (been doing yarny things instead!) so please keep your fingers crossed for me that I will get back into it this week?! Have a lovely week,
      Helen

      Delete
  3. Your fairy is adorable, I love the tiny details such as the snails, so cute! Sometimes I can't get into a project either, I find if I work on it exclusively for a few weeks it really helps. The Wave is stunning and really deserves to be stitched!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Justine, thank you so much for your sweet comments! Yes, sometimes being monogamous with a project does the trick, if I can get a few other things finished first I hope to try that with The Wave - wish me luck! Have a lovely week,
      Helen

      Delete
  4. Your fairy is beautiful - congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meredithe! I am so happy to have her finished at last, it is so freeing to get these UFO's completed :-) Have a lovely week,
      Helen

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!