Monday, 10 April 2017

All about bunnies (and a chick)

Hello there!
In my last post I mentioned that I spent a lot of March working on projects that weren't from my 17 ufo's in 2017 list so I thought before we get any further into April I should show you what I was up to! First off I restitched the other two vanishing bunnies, completely restitching this one...


...and just restitching the bunnies & the swirly bits which are now purple on this one...


This wasn't nearly as bad a job as I had been thinking it would be so I really don't know why I have been putting it off for three years! They are both free patterns & are available here and here. Then I picked two new spring smalls to stitch, first this little guy from The Snowflower Diaries....


Stitched on 28ct evenweave that I dyed with tea and coffee, I changed out the thread colors to fit in better with the other two smalls I am hanging in a group with this one. I finished it as a flat ornament using ric rac, ribbon, and fabric from my stash...


The second was Primrose Maiden designed by Laura Rimola which appeared in Just CrossStitch magazine April 2015...


I loved the way Carol from the Stitching Dreams blog finished her version here so changed the colors on my version too, stitching her dress blue as Carol had done but using yellow and white for the flowers. I stitched mine on 14ct rustico aida with DMC threads and finished it as a flat ornament with ric rac, ribbon, and fabric from my stash...


I chose these two designs to hang with Hop, a Lizzie Kate design I finished last year... 


On a somewhat larger scale I also finished the Peek-a-boo Bunnies from the March/April 17 Quiltmaker magazine. I just couldn't resist these bunnies! They jumped straight out of the magazine at me on my first look through it, and, although another applique project wasn't really on my timetable right now, I started pulling fabrics within a few hours of first spotting them! I made a few changes to this project compared to how it appeared in the magazine, the main change being using regular quilting cottons rather than wools and flannels (I don't have much in the way of those fabrics in my stash although I would like to do some wool applique at some point). I decided not to applique the bunnies' eyes but to use black buttons instead, and I made one long stitch for each whisker instead of stem stitching them. I thought they looked more like whiskers stitched this way &, as it is for hanging on the wall rather than using on a bed, I think they will be fine like this. When it came to the quilting I followed the suggestions in the magazine, echo quilting round the bunnies...

...  free motioning in the first border, using my walking foot to crosshatch the square patches in the second border, and free motion stippling the outer border...

They finished up around 35" square which fits nicely on the wall outside the kitchen and brightens up this part of the hall. I really had a lot of fun sewing this, in fact I might've been a tad addicted ;-) it only took me 13 days from buying the magazine to hanging them on the wall!


I have also been working on some yarny projects but I will save those for my next post. I hope you have a lovely Easter week whatever you are up to!


4 comments:

  1. Wow, Helen you have been so busy!!!
    Look at all these beautifully stitched finishes!!! Gosh I wish my finishing bug will hurry back from wherever it went to :)
    The bunny quilt work looks adorable too. Now you're all ready for Easter. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ingrid! Little stitches are very satisfying aren't they? I hope your finishing bug returns soon and that you have had a lovely Easter too :-)

      Delete
  2. You have indeed been busy, Helen! Your stitching finishes are wonderful, it's such a nice feeling to have them all completed (at least I think it is....I never seem to get round to that last part!)
    I just LOVE your bunny quit....it's fantastic! You certainly finished that in record time...well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rhona! Yes, I'm trying to be good and finish things before starting something new but it's much easier said than done! Maybe there's a link between a creative brain and that butterfly impulse to start new projects when one grabs our attention? (What my Hubbie calls "oh look - something shiny" lol) Anyway it's good to know we are not alone in that! Have a lovely week, Helen

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!