Wednesday, 28 June 2017

Stitching and knitting...

Hello there!
Today I want to share with you the projects I was working on at the beginning of the month. After finishing the Crazy like a Little Fox socks I cast on.... another pair of socks! I think I am addicted, I have over 190 sock patterns favorited on Ravelry and a growing stash of sock yarn. Seriously the stuff is like catnip to me! For this pair I picked the Seriously Southwestern Socks pattern by Mary the Hobbit on Ravelry and some Drops Fabel in a print called Tex Mex. For the darker contrast color I picked Premier Yarns Deborah Norville Serenity Sock Weight in Deep Brown which I bought last year in Colorado. For a while Hubbie has been eyeing my handknit socks and I have been promising to knit him some so he can see (feel?) what all the fuss is about (honestly once you go handknit you won't want to put anything else on your feet ever again). His only request was he wanted some bright colorful ones, "not boring black or navy" so I thought this bright orange might fit the bill...


To get them to fit a size 12 mens foot I had to play around with needles and gauge a bit and I also had to learn a new-to-me technique for the diamond pattern - mosaic knitting. Hmmmm....The jury's out on that one... maybe I am just very comfortable with regular stranded knitting? I used a short row heel again which made it easier to continue the chevron pattern all the way around the foot instead of trying out the complicated looking instructions for producing the pattern only over the top of the foot (also I figured the double thickness all the way round would be warmer and comfier to wear). What with one thing and another I found I really needed to concentrate quite a bit on these so they became daytime only knitting and consequently progress slowed. Right now I have one completed and am partway down the mosaic section on the second...


Meanwhile the July issue of Cross Stitch Crazy magazine caught my eye, partly because it came with some cute Margaret Sherry card designs as the free gift. I have a very soft spot for hedgehogs so I really couldn't resist this little guy...


How cute is he?!!!! Instead of using the kit as supplied I stitched him on some pale green aida from my stash. At some point he is destined to become a small for my August shelf (my theme for August is sunflowers). I thoroughly enjoyed stitching on him, and once he was done I was reluctant to pick up one of the UFO's I should've been stitching on. Basically all the stitchy ones became UFO's in the first place because I hit some form of problem with them & they ceased being a relaxing stitch, I really wanted to stitch something simple and fun for a bit! This coincided with me having a shift around in my sewing room which meant sorting through and moving my "to stitch" piles (these have spent years growing and there is a Christmas pile and a non Christmas pile in case you were wondering ;-)). Seeing all these things I want to stitch "one day" was too much temptation and so I picked a small one - Time for God, Design #141 by Lizzie Kate. This relative newbie has only been on the pile for two years! I wanted to make a few changes to the coloring, firstly I stitched it on Permin 28 count Linen Lambswool, secondly I changed the colors of the blocks behind the letters. I chose the red, green, and yellow that was already used on the chart in between the words and added a blue but after stitching a couple of the red blocks I wasn't happy with it...


The red was too dark, the letter wasn't clear enough, so I went back to my thread boxes and looked for a lighter shade which would contrast more sharply with the brown. I tried it out behind the bottom G...


Much better!! So I unpicked the block behind the W and restitched that too...


Once that was sorted I finished the rest of the design in a couple of evenings...


Perfect timing as we were due to leave for Arran the next morning! I will tell you all about that (and the crafty projects which traveled with me) in my next post. Have a great week!  




12 comments:

  1. Great stitching Helen!!
    I love that cute little hedgehog and it's even cuter because it was designed by MS :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ingrid! I have a real soft spot for MS animals, she has a real knack of capturing so much personality in them! Couldn't tell you how many I have stitched over the years, or how many more charts sit waiting upstairs!! Have a lovely week, Helen

      Delete
  2. Those socks are gorgeous! My daughter received some hand knitted socks from one of her professors and says the same thing as you did....nothing else can got on your feet :) The colour change you did on the LK design looks so much better....what a lovely finish you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rhona :-) Oh lucky daughter, what a lovely professor to have! Hope you are having a lovely week,
      Helen

      Delete
  3. I have that LK design in my stash - thanks for the tip about the red thread! I want to stitch mine now I've seen yours and I might pinch your finishing idea too!
    Great sock knitting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Justine! Thank you so much for your lovely comment :-) I used the DMC colors listed on the chart for everything apart from the blocks behind the letters. For those I used 3722 as the paler red, 783, 731, and 3760 as the blue. Happy stitching!
      Helen

      Delete
  4. Those socks are so wonderful! My mother used to knit socks, and I still have a few pair. I only wear them on special occasions as they have such fun designs on them. I also have a soft spot for hedgehogs, so I absolutely adore that little stitch. Hope you enjoy your trip. --Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, thank you so much for your sweet comment! I never realised until I wore my first pair just how special handmade socks are, how lovely that you still have some from your mother. We had a great trip thanks, hope you have had a lovely holiday week,
      Helen

      Delete
  5. Love the socks. Such a lovely array of colours in the wool.

    Your LK piece is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sally! Yes that is part of the problem for me, sock yarn comes in such gorgeous colors! I really enjoyed stitching the LK, hope you are having a lovely stitchy week too,
      Helen

      Delete
  6. The socks would look great for Hallowe'en in that colour scheme!
    I have the cute hedgehog chart too, I do like MS's designs.
    Well done on working through the issues with L*K and finishing a UFO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! Yes, the orange and brown is getting me in a Halloweeny mood (also eagerly awaiting the JCS Halloween special due soon, not that I've stitched everything I want from last years' yet lol). MS packs such personality into her animals doesn't she? Couldn't count how many I've stitched over the years, or how many are still waiting upstairs! Have a lovely week,
      Helen

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!