Wednesday, 2 August 2017

17 ufos in 2017 - July update

Hello there!
Well here we are at the start of another month so it must be time for an update on the 17 ufos in 2017 project. At the beginning of July it felt like I had a lot of projects on the go so my main aim was to get some of them finished off, but I did find some time to pull a couple of my ufos out of the cupboard before the month was done! Number 7 on my Revised List was a crochet bag project for which I had made all the granny squares a couple of years back. This was when I didn't force myself to sew the ends in as I go, something I have since learnt makes life so much more bearable than having to spend hours and hours sewing them all in at the end... well you live and learn right? Even with only 27 squares in this project that worked out at well over 200 ends and before I sat down to tackle them I had a decision to make...
You see I had started this with the aim of it being a project bag for knitting projects but then I was gifted some bags and also some patterns for sewing some lovely bags to the point where I really didn't need this bag too! So was I going to pull the squares out or find another use for them? When I was making my ufo list back in January I decided to include this project because I was sick of seeing them just sitting there - I needed to do something with them!!!
Way back here I made a crochet bathmat that has been in daily use ever since. Unsurprisingly it has begun to look rather faded and I have been aware for some time that it needs replacing. But just two summers ago I made another one as requested by dear daughter and I'm always far more eager to start something new than revisit a pattern I have done already. Twice. And then it occurred to me. Could I use these squares to make a new bathmat? I had a play with them on top of the old bathmat and decided that if I made one more square I had a layout that would work. I spent a couple of evenings sewing in ends and then had a play to arrange the colors...


I joined them with a slipstitch seam through the back loops and then blocked them. Once dry I added a simple border, one round of sc in each of three colors that I had already used in the squares...  


Job Done!!!! It could probably do with another blocking but I think it will just get pressed into service in the bathroom instead... 
Maybe it's the weather we've been having recently but I am really itching to start some Fall/ Halloween projects. All those oranges, russets, and purples, they really are my most favorite colors in the world :-) Number four on the revised list is a Halloween project in fact it is a companion to one I made a couple of years ago. Back Here I shared with you my plan to make yo-yo's while we traveled and I have just realised I never shared a pic of the end result! He has been happily living in Aberdeen with dear daughter for quite a while now but here he is waiting on her bed in our house to be collected...


OK I guess for a spider he's pretty cute! Not only was dear daughter very happy to take him home (she gets her love of spiders from her Dad definitely not from me!) but he proved to be a perfect travel project so I decided to keep the second pattern in Yo-Yo Halloween for our next trip Stateside. So last year while we flew I was busy with little orange circles instead of little black ones and came home with all the yo-yo's for the pumpkin completed. In case you're wondering at no point on either trip was I questioned about the small sharp needle (the kind you do backstitch with on a cross stitch project?) that I took to sew them with. Anyways... when we get back it's always kinda crazy for a bit, then I got sick, so my pumpkin never got finished. Now he is back out on my sewing table and looking like this...


My plan is to finish him this week so hopefully I will have at least one finish off the ufo list for August!! 
I hope you have a lovely week whatever you're up to and don't forget to go visit some of the other folks taking part in 17 ufos in 2017 :-) 


9 comments:

  1. Recreating your granny squares is a perfect solution for moving a project along and off the list! Well done. We should all consider this solution. Although I'm not a big fan of spiders, I'd say your Halloween one is super cute. It's been delightful to find your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comments Kyle! I hope you continue to enjoy visiting here :-) Have a great week,
      Helen

      Delete
  2. What a great way to use granny squares. I love the mat! Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat! Have a great week,
      Helen

      Delete
  3. The bath matt is certainly a great way to use the granny squares!! How cool is that?
    I am such a chicken when it comes to bugs and spiders are definitely not my friends, however your Halloween creations are wickedly sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ingrid! I was happy to find a use for the squares, it sure beats pulling them out! I definitely prefer the fabric variety over any other kind of spider but I was happy to see him go to his new home, the pumpkin is much more my kind of thing ;-) Have a great week,
      Helen

      Delete
  4. Hey, nice repurposing of the granny squares. The border colors really work great for those. And wow - I can't believe how close it's getting to the time for Halloween decorations! Cute spider and pumpkin. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynette! Thank you for dropping by & for your sweet comments :-) Yes, this year is flying by isn't it? I think we are maybe more aware of it than folks who don't craft because we are always working on something for the months and celebrations that are to come? Have a great week,
      Helen

      Delete
  5. What a great way to make a bath mat, soft, warm and washable too!
    Love the spider, an interesting way to use the little puffs.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!