Monday, 9 October 2017

Summer stitches

Hello there!
Before I launch into more tales from our Yorkshire trip I have a few other projects to share with you from before we went away. (The original plan was I would finish this post the week we were away but our internet was awful so that wasn't possible.) There has been a lot of yarny activity here this summer but there has been a little stitching going on in between times. I got around to finishing my little Margaret Sherry hedgehog into a wee pillow...


 I also stitched up the August Stamp from the Lizzie Kate series and finished it as a flat finish...


This was stitched on my last piece of 14 count ecru aida with the listed DMC threads (except for the pale green behind the word for which I picked a lighter green than the suggested one). I chose to leave the little brown buttons off because I didn't think they would be visible from across the room where we sit so I am saving them for another project. With these two projects my August shelf looked like this...


Hopefully next year I can add a couple more sunflower designs to the shelf but for this year I decided to focus on finishing my seaside summer stitch. You can find my original post on this back here if you want to play spot the difference between the charts, but one change I made that wasn't on either chart was to use seed beads for the bubbles...


...I just love their little faces! Here is the completed design finished into a wallhanging with fabrics from my stash...


I also made a summer tablerunner. I had a play with some of my batik scraps and came up with a simple design but one which I think lets the fabrics take center stage, it also goes very nicely with the summer wall hanging I made a couple of years back.






After this you would think I would've finished off that poor Yo-Yo Pumpkin who has been waiting patiently on my sewing table since the end of July! Instead I started a new wall hanging for the kitchen... I have more autumnal quilt patterns and magazines than for any other time of the year so I decided to pick some of my favorite parts from a variety of patterns to create a September wall hanging. So far I have cut and ironed on the applique parts and made and attached blocks and borders to complete the top...


...next I need to find some stabiliser and sew the edges of the appliques, then sandwich it, quilt it, bind it, and add the finishing touches. I hope to get this done over the next few weeks (I might need to rename this as an Autumn wallhanging seeing as September is long gone!).
Thank you for visiting with me today, I hope your week brings you lots of creative opportunities!








10 comments:

  1. Hello, Beautiful work! How you doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aunt Nancy! Thank you :-) We're doing ok thanks, must drop you a proper line on messenger to catch up! Hugs to you and Uncle Phil xoxox

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous sewing Helen! You really are creative with your finishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Justine! Have a lovely weekend,
      Helen

      Delete
  3. These are all such gorgeous projects. You are complete genius using the little beads as bubbles coming from those seahorses. I always love to see what you've been working on. Happy stitching! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Andrea! I must pop over and catch up on what you have been up to... have a lovely weekend,
      Helen

      Delete
  4. What lovely finishes! You've been bursting with creativity :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ingrid! Hope all is good with you and you're still enjoying your beautiful HAED?

      Delete
  5. Oh gosh Helen so much to see and all so lovely Ive fallen in love with that wee hedgehog though LOL and summer is perfect, fabulous colours. Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glenda! Yes I fell for the wee hedgehog as soon as I saw him, that's why he got stitched even though I was supposed to be working on my UFO's lol! Have a great week,
      Helen

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!